I had the opportunity, through FitFluential, to help promote Reebok at this years Summer Streets in NYC. Basically, Summer Streets is 7 miles of open streets in NYC, dedicated to fun fitness events for both adults and children. It takes place on the following Saturdays in August: 3rd, 10th and 17th; from 7:00 am to 1:00pm.
Reebok sent some some awesome CrossFit gear including the new Nano 3.0′s, so I decided to wear some of it to the Reebok Fitness Zone near Astor Place.
As soon as I arrived, I found Chris from Reebok, who showed me around.
I had to stop and take a photo of the CrossFit 5th Ave coaches!
I knew they were having CrossFit workouts, but was super excited when I saw how much actual equipment they had brought!
They even had an ATV zone set up for kids to race across multiple surfaces.
Another area was the Reebok Product Experience. If you checked it out, you became eligible for exclusive discounts at the Reebok store in NYC.
At the end of the street, they had a stage set up where hourly sessions were taking place. There was a yoga class going on when I got there.
I signed up for the 9am CrossFit class with Reebok 5th Ave coaches including Megan May, who is truly in inspiration – look her up!
After my shin injury during a box jump last week, I wasn’t stoked about doing them again, but one of the coaches taught me how to really use my arms to get myself up there, so I felt a lot better while doing them this time around. I also RX’d using 95 lbs. for the deadlift (which was erased on the board). Megan gave me some really great tips on perfecting my deadlift:
1. Keep the bar as close to you as you can (a.k.a. I need high socks for my shins)
2. Keep the same grip for both hands as long as you can to help strengthen your grip.
3. Push your knees OUT!
I finished in about 7 minutes. There wasn’t a clock so I don’t know exactly, but I definitely underestimated this workout a little bit. What’s new?
If you’re in or near NYC, you should totally check out Summer Streets, especially the Reebok Fitness Zone!
The onstage schedule includes:
- 7:30 AM – 9:30 AM: Yoga
- 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM: Class TBD
- 11:00 AM – 11:45 AM: Dance
- 11:45 AM – 12:30 PM: CrossFit
The off stage schedule includes:
- CrossFit WODs will start every hour from 8 AM – 11 AM (45 min. each, 20 person maximum)
- Reebok ATV 19 Kids Challenge will be ongoing from 8 AM – 12:30 PM
- Reebok Runs with coaches from NY Harriers (8am and 10am, 4K and 10K distances) RSVP- http://beta.flavorpill.com/
I’m off to LA for work and then Cabo, Mexico for play, so I’ll see you guys in a few weeks.