Chobani Ice Cubes

by Jillian on January 29, 2013 · 14 comments

Ah, another bootcamp in the books. Today, it was all body weight and functional movement. I didn’t lift one weight, but I did do a chin-ups, push-ups, and about five thousand burpees.

We finished off with an intense tabata circuit which left me dripping and totally bumped up my calorie burn for the hour.

A great way to start the day.

Breakfast

I made the usual green protein smoothie with spinach and all the mix-ins. I’ve been using something different lately though.

Remember when Chobani sent me this massive shipment of their delicious greek yogurt?

Well, somehow I was unable to finish it, despite baking muffins and pancakes galore. Chobani informed me that I’ll have a surprise at my doorstep this week so I decided it would be a good idea to find a way to use up the rest of what I have. Actually, the expiration date on some of it was a few weeks past, but all of the live cultures supposedly extend the shelf life by fending off mold. It looked totally fine and hadn’t been opened yet, so I went ahead and used it.

I saw the frozen yogurt bites and bars that Lindsay made recently and thought, why not freeze it plain in an ice cube trays and use it for smoothies in place of ice? Genius! Less waste and more smoothies.

***********

A few random things: I ate about 5 times at work today. I’m pretty sure everyone thinks it’s super weird, but I can’t help it. I’m hungry all day when I workout in the morning like that!

And…has everyone signed up for Vine? I really don’t need another time suck in my life, but I remember jumping on the Twitter and Instagram train way late in the game so I don’t want to miss anything important. Plus, my friend showed me how to use it this weekend and it seems pretty cool, despite having to delete the video from your phone after every post because it takes up too much space for me. Anyway, follow me!

• How do YOU use up yogurt before it goes bad?

1 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean January 29, 2013 at 7:25 pm

woohoo!!! i do that too when i have to much and don’t want to waste it!. love

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I’ve been meaning to make something similar but ended up just tossing one of the whole containers in the freezer as is. Just have to remember to thaw it out in the fridge with enough time before i want to eat it! ;)

3 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 29, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I’ll definitely keep that trick in mind the next time I have yogurt about to go bad – clever!

4 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 29, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Great idea with the ice cubes! I usually just stick the whole container in the freezer, but this sounds like a better way :)
I’ve never heard of Vine, but now I’m intrigued!

5 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill January 29, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I used to always freeze the small containers of Chobani during the summer time–they were so good slightly frozen!

6 Jillian February 1, 2013 at 9:48 am

I did that once, but they get rock hard so you have to give them time to thaw! :)

7 Lauren January 29, 2013 at 11:15 pm

What a fantastic idea!!! I love it!

8 Katy January 29, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Love the Chobani idea! I tend to let mine expire before using it all, so this would definitely save me some $$!

9 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt January 30, 2013 at 10:50 am

Such a great way to enjoy every last drop of CHO.

10 Chels R. January 30, 2013 at 11:33 am

I’m scared of vine…you will have to tell me how you like it. LOL

Those cubes look yummy! I just had a smoothie with greek yogurt in it this morning!!

11 Jillian February 1, 2013 at 9:20 am

It’s fun. but I don’t have a lot of interesting things to video lol

12 Lindsay January 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I love popping yogurt in the freezer. It kills me to throw it away so it’s nice to save it and use it for dessert.

13 sally @ sallys baking addiction February 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm

chobani ice cubes! I freaking LOVE this idea! I just received a huge package from them as well and I’m pondering how to eat it all up. This saves my day. Honestly, thank you so much for the idea. :) Genius.

14 Jillian February 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm