Strong & Accomplished

by Jillian on October 20, 2012 · 17 comments

If you follow me on Instagram (@jillianleo), you probably have seen a few of these pictures already. Lately, it’s just a whole lot easier to whip out the iPhone than the digital camera. Ya know what I mean?

One thing I have to say that I’ve learned since starting as a personal trainer is to switch up your workouts. A change of stimulus is the only thing that is going to help you continue to see results. Every week, you should have at least one heavy day and one light day. You should constantly switch up exercises and add complexity and stability challenges. Use the BOSU (BOth Sides Used), stability balls, cables, dumbbells, barbells, TRX, kettlebells, ViPR, or whatever you can find to switch it up. Try alternating, reciprocal, or unilateral movements.

For the past month and a half I’ve really been focusing on this and honestly, I haven’t seen better results in the 3 years that I’ve been consistently training. I was doing walking lunges with a plate during this week’s leg day and one of my friends at work took a picture of me and told me that I had to see my back.

Holy crap. I honestly did not realize how much improvement I’ve made lately until I saw this. You can see results, you just have to have a purpose. What do you want to see change? What do you want to be able to accomplish? Figure it out and make a plan of action! Going to the gym and doing the same thing every week isn’t a bad thing. It will keep you fit and healthy, but if you want results, take it a step further!

Every upper body day for the last month, I’ve done negative chin-ups. Basically, hoist yourself up with a step and slowly let yourself down. The eccentric movement (resisting the lengthening of the muscle) trains the same muscles and is actually responsible for more strength gains than just the concentric movement alone (an actual chin-up).

Today, I felt good and I walked over to the chin-up bar, jumped up, and did 2 unassisted chin-ups. I can’t even begin to explain the feeling.

strong

I feel strong and accomplished.

So what am I trying to say? If you want it, you can make it happen!

*******************

Alright guys, it’s time for the foodie portion of the post. I know you were waiting for it, don’t lie!

IMG_2019

Pumpkin greek yogurt has been happening like it’s nobody’s business. I mix fat free greek yogurt mixed with pumpkin puree, stevia, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, apples, and top it with granola and cashews.

I spy a “daughter” mug in the background! Love you, Mom!

Also, another one bites the dust…

IMG_2018

I’ve had some rather large deliveries this week. Fourteen pounds of protein powder, shakes, turbo teas, and peanut butter powder arrived at our door step on Tuesday.

IMG_2017

I love Netrition (affiliate link) because you get 5% off if you spend over $200, which we always do, and it literally ships the next day! Plus you get a free choice of product when you spend over a certain amount. I usually get a towel or pre-workout sample pack.

Okay, one more pumpkin thing.

shocktoppumpkin

Off to work – have a great weekend, all!

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Dang girl, looks at those guns! :) Great work and a great reminder that we need to switch up our workouts to keep our muscles guessing.

2 Marilyn October 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I immediately noticed the mug!! xoxo
I have to start varying my workouts. I am getting bored, and my body is getting used to it..

3 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Holy biceps, woman! And doing unassisted chin ups? That is pretty damn impressive!

4 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean October 20, 2012 at 4:27 pm

you go girl! amazing!!!

5 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit October 20, 2012 at 5:35 pm

100% agree on switching up workouts to challenge yourself. I started with a trainer just over a year ago & have made huge strength improvements. Nice work & your back is rockin’! I’ve been tossing pumpkin in shakes w/ vanilla protein powder — like drinking pumpkin pie! yummmm :)

6 Jillian October 23, 2012 at 11:27 am

Yum! Pumpkin pie shakes are the best!

7 Lauren October 20, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Girl, you look HOT!!!!! WOw, huge congrats on the accomplishments. :)

8 Jillian October 23, 2012 at 11:27 am

Thanks lady!!

9 Katie @ Livehalffull October 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

You look so awesome! Please share some workouts to help us all out!

10 janetha @ meals & moves October 22, 2012 at 12:17 am

You are looking great, lady! I have to agree with you on the variety being the reason for results. I have been weight training since 2008 and it wasn’t until I started at GPP in April that I have seen CRAZY results. At GPP they focus on ten aspects of fitness–flexibility, endurance, strength, agility, power, coordination, balance, stamina, accuracy, and speed, all the while doing TONS of different things each day. I cannot believe the results yielded. Thanks for sharing your progress!

11 Jillian October 23, 2012 at 11:27 am

GPP sounds awesome. Throwing stamina and accuracy into the mix is really interesting! I’d love to try out a class someday. Hmmmm maybe at Blend!?!??! lol

12 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige October 22, 2012 at 9:03 am

Jillian!! You look AWESOME. And strong. And made me excited for leg day today :) haha

13 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 22, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Gosh girl!!!! I want to have guns like yours some day! ;) I’m glad you’ve been having so much success with switching up your workouts and lifting heavy weights. I’ve started lifting heavy weights and I’m LOVING it!!!! I can’t wait to continue and keep getting stronger — the feeling is just amazing! :)

14 Jillian October 23, 2012 at 11:25 am

I agree – nothing like a post workout high!

15 Lisa October 25, 2012 at 12:06 am

You are looking amazing! Congrats with all the success! I am always switching up my routine, exercises, equipment because otherwise I get SO bored with doing all the same stuff over and over. Besides spin. I’ll always love that class.

16 Jillian October 25, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Thanks Lisa! Yea thats another perk of switching it up – it stops boredom!!