Wegman’s Finds

by Jillian on October 15, 2012 · 11 comments

Well hello there, normal blogging. Thanks to everyone who commented yesterday – you all made me feel so special! Seriously!

I headed back to New Jersey yesterday after my spontaneous trip home to see my Mom.

I know, Mom! I’m sorry. No more pictures while driving.

Anyway, my visit home couldn’t have gone without a trip to Wegman’s.

I used to go to Wegman’s when I still lived at home with my Mom, but I’ve recently heard that they are stepping their game up. Like, Whole Foods style.

I started with the pictures before I even got in the door.

I had heard about the craft your own 6-pack and honestly, I couldn’t pass it up. Especially with all of the pumpkin and Oktoberfest options.

I also spotted Core Power shakes, which I first had at Blend Retreat (which by the way is being planned for 2013, woohoo!). Good to know that they carry these shakes at Weggies!

I’d say that the organic grass fed beef for $5.49 a pound was my #1 find, but then I came across these.

Would you believe me if I told you I left with none? Well, I did! As all of you know, it’s usually a sprinkle massacre, so I practiced self control on this one.

However, I did not practice any self control on the two kinds of pumpkin roll that my Mom had.

I prefer mine with more cake and less cream cheese, how about you?

/ end fatty rant.

We enjoyed one last meal together (breakfast) before I hit the road on Sunday. I ended up almost polishing off a jar of peanut butter so of course she told me to take it “for my oats”.

She knows me too well.

Last night, Joe and I enjoyed a few of the 6-pack beers with our take out. It has been a massive cheat weekend for me with little exercise, but I did put my Wegman’s find to good use today.

Chili!

IMG_2012

I also had an acorn squash and turnip that needed to be cooked.

IMG_2011

I got the idea to stuff the squash being that there is a big hole in the center from cutting out the seeds. What could be more perfect?

I finished it off with avocado, nonfat greek yogurt, and a blurry iPhone photo. It was a bit messy and annoying to eat but it was so delicious. It’s amazing how as soon as turns Fall, all my body craves is squash, chili, and comfort foods.

Well, I have some programming to do for clients, so ciao for now!

1 Marilyn October 15, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Yum! The chili looks good. I may have to make some soon.

2 Michele October 15, 2012 at 6:10 pm

That Wegmans looks very familiar… If your mom still lives where your About Me says you grew up then I’m thinking it is the same one. I don’t know what i’m going to do with out Wegmans when I move back to NJ after graduation!

3 Jillian October 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Yes – Wilkes-Barre! Whole Foods is great too (in NJ) but way more expensive.

4 Emily October 15, 2012 at 6:51 pm

can I get some of that self control you practiced against those sprinkles – I dont think I could have passed them up! & I am with ya on more cake less cream cheese for the pumpkin roll, I almost need a perfect 50/50 ratio there.

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Good to see you’re back! I made chili last week, such a fall necessity!

6 Laura @ Joyful Shimmy October 15, 2012 at 8:54 pm

The chili looks delicious I love the idea of combining it with acorn squash.

I have to admit I truly miss Wegmans. I went to school in Syracuse and that was one of our spots to go and check out stock on good food. Those were some fun college days for sure.

7 Lauren October 15, 2012 at 10:05 pm

We have Wegmans here and it’s the only place I do my shopping. Love the bulk bins and I also love their organic meat/seafood selection. Great prices compared to the competitors!

8 Bridgette October 15, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I live in Rochester, NY-the birthplace of Wegmans-and we’re totally spoiled!!! I can basically drive 10 minutes in any direction and be at or very close to a Wegmans. When friends and family come to visit the first place they ask to go is Wegmans lol We recently had to go gluten free for health reasons and there are 1700 different gluten free products available to us there. I’m glad you were able to find some great things and I honestly can’t believe you passed up the sprinkles!!! lol

9 Jillian October 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I saw the gluten free section! Amazing! Wegman’s is definitely a place to stop if you see one and don’t live near one!

10 Ashley @ Freckles & Spice October 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Your back!! I love wegmans. Everytime i go home I come back with a suitcase full of wegmans goodies. Recently traveled back with their pumpkin muffin and carrot apple muffin in my suitcase.

11 Dede October 20, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Love that welcome to PA sign! I see one when I go north to visit my family!