Chobani SoHo Tasting

by Jillian on August 8, 2012 · 20 comments

I’m sure a lot of you, being huge Chobani fans, have heard that they opened up a free standing location in NYC.

It’s on Price Street in SOHO.

As always, Chobani is super awesome and they invited a handful of bloggers to come celebrate the opening with them and taste test some of the combinations.

I really loved the look of the Mediterranean yogurt bar. It’s so chic with the flat screens, chalkboard menu, and organized shelves.

Emily greeted us as soon as we walked in and eventually started off the night by telling us a little bit about Chobani’s history.

Dar was our guide through the tasting process and he was super knowledgeable and informative about the products.

Hamdi, the founder of Chobani, is a Turkish immigrant that wanted to change the way people looked at yogurt in the U.S. Greek yogurt is so different from our typical sugar filled options and he really wanted everyone to have the opportunity to try it.

Chobani crafted some amazing combinations for the new store and they use only the best quality ingredients. Turkish figs, Turkish pistachios, clover honey, and greek olive oil are among the tasty additions. Not to mention, they kept the prices really reasonable! Think about how much you spend at a froyo bar (or am  I the only one that ends up spending $8 on a bowl?). You are getting healthy and natural greek yogurt with quality ingredients for way less.

The tasting began shortly after. Each serving comes with a cloth cover to remind you of the traditional greek yogurt straining process. Also, you get to keep the glass bowl! If you bring it back, you get 25 cents off your next yogurt bowl. How cool is that!?

We started with the Pistachio + Chocolate.

Now, the combination of pistachios and dark chocolate is amazing, but the mint is what really made this one!

We moved onto the Blueberry + Power.

It was good, but not my favorite. Maybe because these are typical ingredients that I use on my yogurt, so it wasn’t out of the ordinary for me.

Fortunately, we moved onto the savory combination which totally stole the show.

Cucumbers, salt, and pita chips with greek yogurt? Holy yum! Oh, did I mention that all of these are made with 2% so it’s extra creamy? You can get 0% by request, but I highly recommend the tiny bit extra fat for more flavor and texture!

Next up was also a winner! The Toasted Coconut + Pineapple was pretty ridiculous. The shredded coconut was massive and really paired well with the pineapple. I almost think it could have gone without the hazelnuts because the coconut was sort of similar in texture, but who doesn’t like some extra nuts on their yogurt, right?

They didn’t let us go without trying another savory combination, and thank goodness they didn’t because this is now my new go to at home!

Chobani with olive oil, genius! It was topped with sea salt and cracked pepper and finished with pita chips. Seriously guys, so yummy!

It was yummy to the point that I said I was leaving with a bottle of olive oil from their product wall (yes, they sell some of the quality toppings, too!). You could taste the quality in the olive oil from the first bite.

We weren’t done yet though. Next up was a traditional yogurt combination: seasonal fruit and granola. Yes, seasonal. All of their combinations will likely change for fall and winter!

The clover honey really stood out in flavor, which made it that much better than an at-home version of this for me. Dar also mentioned how they strategically prepare the yogurt cups so that each layered bite has a little bit of everything.

Okay, can you believe I’m still not done? We were so full at this point. Okay, that’s a lie because most of you already know I’m a bottomless pit. I can’t even get away with that one.

PEANUT BUTTER + JELLY. Holy crap guys. It’s topped with peanuts and grapes, too. Absurdly delicious. I couldn’t keep my spoon out of that bowl and I basically finished the whole thing.

Last but not least was the Turkish Fig and Walnut combination. I love figs and these ones were so tasty and delicious.

After eating this one, I went back for seconds on the PBJ. I swear I’m 26 and not 6 years old.

They closed the night by telling us about the water that they sell there. Here is an excerpt from their blog post about the new store.

Also debuting at Chobani SoHo is our philanthropically-driven line of water, Water for Water. We’ll contribute 100% of the net profits from each bottle sold to our Shepherd’s Gift Foundation to fund clean drinking water projects. So, drink up. Together, we can make a difference!

How awesome is that?

They gave us a goodie bag, too, which included water, a coupon, and Turkish hazelnuts!

Thank you so much Chobani, Emily, and Dar for hosting this tasting! it was unbelievable and I’ll definitely be back. I’ll also be thoroughly enjoying my olive oil and hazelnuts until then!

You can visit the new Chobani Soho at 150 Price Street in NYC from 9am to 8pm daily. You can also follow them on twitter @ChobaniSoho.

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 8, 2012 at 9:40 am

I wish this opened before I was in New York last month so I could have gone, but I’m definitely stopping by next time I get to NYC. I LOVE Chobani so I’d be all over this place. :)

2 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife August 8, 2012 at 9:40 am

this is awesome! I can’t wait to head to NY one day and go to it! (:

3 Katy August 8, 2012 at 9:54 am

Wow what a great experience! Those toppings sound so diverse and exciting. I would probably love the coconut bowl the best! Thanks for sharing.

4 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 8, 2012 at 10:30 am

I am drooling after seeing all those yogurt combos….yum!!! The pistachio and dark chocolate along with the PB&J look AMAZING, I would have gone back for seconds, too!!

I hope this location goes over well because I am hoping they will expand into other markets…..like maybe Dallas/Fort Worth:-)!!

5 Jillian August 8, 2012 at 11:19 am

I hope they are able to expand to – it’s a really awesome concept!

6 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com August 8, 2012 at 11:31 am

Um all of those sound fantastic, but the toasted coconut and the peanut butter and jelly I need like ASAP!
Thank gosh I will be in NYC at the end of the month so I can try it!!!!
Thanks for the recap! I have seriously been dying to find out more about this place since all the tweets started flying around!
PS how are you lady?! I hope all is well!

7 Jillian August 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

When you are in NYC – let me know! We can have a Chobani date!! :) I’m good, just making my way through some changes lol – I hope all is well with you too!!

8 Lisa August 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

This looks so neat! I’m totally jealous of the Chobani you can get over there. None where I live yet!
Now I need to go to NYC. All those combos sounds amazing.

9 Chels R. August 8, 2012 at 11:48 am

Oh my good gracious it all looks so good! Especially the one w/ the cucumbers caught my eye…I will have to recreate that.

10 Danielle @ Clean food Creative Fitness August 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm

So jealous you go to go here! I can’t wait for my next trip to NYC just so I can try it! Everything looks amazing!

11 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt August 8, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Wow! Could Chobani get any Cooler? YES! What a fun tasting day you had.

12 Alysha @Shesontherun August 8, 2012 at 4:05 pm

How awesome. I would love a Chobani store in Milwaukee :) BTW, I think I’m going to have to create some of what you tasted at home – especially the PB &J YUM!

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 8, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I’d be all over that PB & J option too – sounds so tasty!

14 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocoalte August 9, 2012 at 1:12 am

Ahh I am so jealous that the Chobani store is so close to you!

15 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish August 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Mmm…this sounds like the most delicious tasting event EVER. I love making my Cho savory, but I’ve never tried it with olive oil–genius! The pistachio + dark chocolate is calling my name, but I’m pretty sure the peanut butter and jelly would steal my heart. I need to try that combination at home! So glad you had such a wonderful time. I love Emily and everyone at Chobani! <3

16 Steph @ StephSnacks August 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I absolutely can’t wait to check out this shop! I’m definitely going after work :D

17 Kailey August 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

Ohh the Peanut Butter & Jelly combo looks AMAZING. I need to get over to the Chobani store asap.

18 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 12, 2012 at 8:10 am

I think it’s genius that Chobani opened up this shop! I saw on their facebook wall the olive oil + yogurt combo, and wasn’t too sure how I felt about that. Good to know you liked it! *maybe* I’ll try to recreate it at home ;)
Great job covering the opening, Jillian! Hope you had a good weekend, girl :)

19 Jolynn August 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Wow, looks like a ton of fun and great flavor combinations!!! I’ll definitely be trying the PBJ!