Taking a Step Back

by Jillian on August 6, 2012 · 13 comments

Hola! Okay, sorry, I am just getting really excited for Mexico. Joe and I will be there in two weeks! AHH!

cabo

We were lucky enough to be able to extend our vacation one day. Joe has a way of haggling and somehow got United Airlines to waive our change flight fee. Does anyone else know how hard that is? I have tried before and it’s impossible. Obviously, Joe has a gift.

**********

I didn’t’ set an alarm this morning since today and tomorrow are my days off. After being sick last week, I figured I’d let my body rest as much as it needed. I didn’t want to sleep too late because running in this heat is awful, but somehow I managed to dilly dally enough this morning that I didn’t get outside until 11:00AM!

Luckily, it wasn’t nearly as hot and humid as Saturday. I ran 4 miles at an 8:48 pace, the worst pace yet during training. I’ve been averaging 34:30 the last few 4 milers. I’m thinking my body needs a rest week where I’ll cut back on miles, and then bump it up again next week. My plan calls for that this week because it suggests a 5K on Saturday. I ran one two weeks ago because I couldn’t find one this week, but I didn’t cut back on any mileage, which is why I probably should do that this week.

My knee also felt off today. It doesn’t feel like anything serious, but I iced it when I got home anyway.

Despite getting off to a late start, I was still quite productive. I wrote and responded to some e-mails that I’d been putting off (including Cabo activities, eek!), completed a bunch of bookkeeping work for the restaurant, went to the bank and grocery store, folded laundry, changed the sheets, cleaned the bathroom, and tidied up the house. I feel much better after marking those things off my list. I’m sure all you list lovers can relate!

Dinner

Since I skipped photos of my breakfast, lunch, and snacks, I’ll just share my dinner. It was the best meal of the day anyway!

As always, I made my grocery list with intentions of using up what I already had on hand. I bought tofu because I had barbeque sauce that I wanted to use up. I had seen some BBQ baked tofu recipes before and decided to give it a whirl. I just marinated the cubed tofu in BBQ sauce and baked it at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Next time, I’ll probably buy block tofu and cut it into bigger slices. The cubes didn’t crisp up as much as I’d hoped, but they were still good with some extra sauce.

I also had frozen broccoli and a sweet potato from last week so I roasted those along with a zucchini that I bought today for some variety. I figured I’d roast it all today so I have veggies for the week.

The avocado I bought last week was at the perfect stage for guacamole. I mashed it up with tomato, peppers, salt, and lime juice.

Even though it was my day off, I haven’t had any me time. Off to do that now! ;D

********

Recent, interesting finds:

Are you going on any fun vacations before summer ends?

1 Danielle @ Clean food Creative Fitness August 6, 2012 at 7:16 pm

So jealous of your trip! I very rarely eat tofu but that baked tofu looks amazing!!! I want some!

2 Marilyn August 6, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I hope your knee is okay. Sounds like a great vacation coming up!

3 Tiffany August 6, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Ohh that guacamole looks so good! Nothing like preparing for your vacation ahead of time! Where are you staying in Mexico? I’ve never been there before and am getting married in Riviera Maya next spring.

4 Jillian August 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Cabo… that is so awesome that you are having a destination wedding! Best of luck planning! :)

5 Lauren August 6, 2012 at 8:48 pm

So excited for your trip to Mexico because I know it will get me majorly excited for mine in October! ;)

6 Jillian August 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm

SOoo bummed though because I keep seeing all the HLS hype! Wish I was going!!

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 6, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I wish I could go on a vacation before summer ends but with a big move on the horizon that IS my “vacation.” ;)

8 Ashley @ Freckles and Spice August 6, 2012 at 11:23 pm

BBQ tofu is probably B’s fav way to eat tofu – that I’ve made anyway.
Also, I need to know Joe’s secret! B has to change a plane ticket for the end of the month. He is in Phoenix right now, and I’m going for a week to visit on the 15th.

9 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish August 7, 2012 at 2:45 am

Your dinner looks SO SO good! I love the idea of roasting tofu with barbeque sauce; I wonder if they’d crisp up better if you coated them in egg whites? (That works really well with sweet potatoes!).

So sorry about your knee! I hope it’s nothing serious, and that the funky feeling subsides soon. Some R&R in Mexico should surely do the trick. I love Cabo, and can’t wait to hear about your adventures there! What hotel are you staying at?

xoxo <3

10 Jillian August 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Oooh good idea with the egg whites!

11 Steph @ StephSnacks August 7, 2012 at 10:49 am

I am definitely going to try that BBQ tofu! Sounds fantastic :)

12 Alysha @Shesontherun August 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Jealous! We are going up north (Wisconsin) after labor day, so It will be nice to have a whole week off work :) BTW, I never do the races on the half marathon training plans. I wonder if that would make a difference.

13 Jillian August 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Since I’ve never run one before I was just being a rookie and trying to throw races in when it suggested, lol.