12 Hours Later…

by Jillian on July 8, 2012 · 9 comments

Greetings from Portland, Oregon! Well, almost. I’m currently blogging probably from northern California on the smallest plane known to man.

I was lucky and got cut early last night so I got home around 11:30, finished packing, and didn’t get a wink of sleep! I had my alarm set for 4:00AM because we had a car service coming to get us at 4:45. Our flight was supposed to leave at 6:59 but kept getting delayed. We hung out in the airport and I had an egg and cheese on a multi grain bun. It hit the spot! Food was the only thing keeping me awake at that point.

Eventually, we boarded and took off around 8:00AM. Being that Joe and I didn’t sit together, it wasn’t an interesting flight. Had he sat next to me, I’m sure I would have been annoyed. He doesn’t handle long flights very well. We’ll leave it at that.

We arrived at LAX around 10:30 and headed to the nearest bar while waiting for our connecting flight.

We each downed two bloody mary’s. Always a great start to a vacation!

Joe had a cheese whiz tongue. Not the best nacho’s I’ve ever had, for sure.

We were starving so an immediate picture was the last thing on my mind. No worries though, you still get a good idea of the cheese whiz factor on these nachos.

Oh yeah, this is Carrie and Tony! They’re our Oregon vacation partners. Carrie worked for Joe since before I met him, and she is now my boss at the new restaurant.

You’ll be seeing a whole lot of them the next few days on the blog!

One diet coke and a package of peanut MnMs later, we were on our flight to Portland.

We had some pretty awesome views from the plane.

Joe and I continued to drink and enjoyed some red wine spritzers.

I started to get sleepy but Joe was very occupied by Angry Birds.

By far the longest travel day, ever. We spent about 12 hours today getting to Portland, but it’s so worth it. I can’t wait to get to the Rogue Brew Pub tonight!

1 Marilyn July 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm

What a long day! Hope you get some rest so you can enjoy the rest of your trip! Have fun!

2 Melissa July 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Ugh, what a long day of traveling! Hope there’s many adult beverages in your future to make you forget allll about it :)

3 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 8, 2012 at 10:13 pm

The only downside to vacations – taking half the day just getting there!

But wine spritzers are definitely the best way to make it more enjoyable (and bloody mary’s too I’m sure, I personally can’t stand ‘em).

4 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I love a good Bloody Mary!! I am not sure I would be a great traveler if it took me 12 hours to get there. I am super impatient and hate being confined to small spaces(like planes!!) I think the longest I have ever flown is abut 3 hours. I guess there are perks to living in the middle of the US(Texas). You are already halfway to most places!!

5 Lisa July 9, 2012 at 12:04 am

Oh man, I am not a good traveller. The long hours just about kill me, I would definitely be needing a drink. Hope you have some great fun tonight!:)

6 Alysha @Shesontherun July 9, 2012 at 11:46 am

I know a bunch of people who live in Portland and everyone I talked to who has ever traveled there loves it. Have fun!

7 Calee (@chimes) July 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

YIKES. That looks like every plane to have flown out of Des Moines. SOOO tiny. Have a great trip! I would love to visit portland.

8 Paige @ Running Around Normal July 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Traveling can be so tiring! However, with this post, I think we would be excellent travel buddies! This sounds about like how Shane and I spend our day when traveling :)

9 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish July 13, 2012 at 1:34 am

Haha, oh Cheese Whiz. So beautifully American in a not-so-beautiful way. ;-p I’m glad you were able to wash it down with some healthy veggies in those Bloody Mary’s. ;-)

I hope you’re having a wonderful time in Portland! It’s one of my favorite cities! xoxo <3