The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg Experiment

by Jillian on June 28, 2012 · 17 comments

Whenever I go to my Mom’s house, I find myself raiding her refrigerator and cabinets for snacks as soon as I walk in the door. Usually it’s because I just finished a 2 hour chaotic drive and I’m starving, but it’s also because I’m curious. Well, when I was there two weeks ago, I found one last hardboiled egg that she had left for me, knowing I’d probably want some snacks when I got there (that’s my mom for ya!). I always say I need to hard boil eggs for snacks but I just never end up doing it. Truth be told, I used to hate hardboiled eggs! Oh, how things have changed!

This got me thinking. Since I had never actually hard boiled my own eggs (I know, shut up.), I wanted to know the absolute best way so that they come out perfect. Why? Because I’m OCD. My mom suggested that I ask the chef at Joe’s restaurant. Good idea!

Chef Frank suggested the method that he uses. However, as we were speaking Vic over heard us. Vic is Joe’s partner. He suggested another way that he swears by because he’s never gotten brown or green in the egg yolks. Well, I said I’d try both and report back.

First, I tried Frank’s method.

In a pot, add eggs and enough water to cover them. Do not cover the pot with a lid.

Turn the heat on medium-high and let the water come to a boil. As soon as the water is boiling, set a timer for 8 minutes. When the timer goes off, drain the eggs and run cold water over them.

The eggs weren’t too hard to peel.

The shells came off pretty easily with only a few pieces that were a little more difficult.

Verdict?

Perfectly hard boiled eggs with no discoloration in the yolk. The texture was spot on.

At this point, I was getting hungry, so I took a little snack break.

Okay, back to business.

Next, I tried Vic’s method.

In a pot, add eggs and enough water to cover them. Put a lid on the pot.

Turn the heat on medium-high and let the water come to a boil. As soon as the water comes to a boil, set a timer for 3 minutes. When the timer goes off, take the pot off the heat, leaving the lid on. Set a timer for 7 minutes and let it sit with the lid on. After 7 minutes, drain the eggs and run cold water over them.

It was the slightest bit harder to take the shells off the eggs, but not enough that you would even notice if you were a normal person and not doing egg experiments.

Verdict?

No yolk discoloration. Perfect texture. Smelly and delicious, as hardboiled eggs should be.

So basically, both methods produce the same effect. Sorry Vic, but I’ll go the 2 minutes faster route. I guess you can’t argue with a chef, right?

Anyway, apparently the fresher the egg is, the less likely you are to get that green ring around the yolk. I usually buy cage free, organic, farm fresh eggs. Also, overcooking them can cause this so make sure you run them under cold water immediately after cooking if you aren’t going to eat them right away.

Now go make some hardboiled eggs for a quick and easy protein filled snack! Oh, and eat the yolks, PLEASE! They won’t kill you, only if they’re green (kidding). That’s where all the nutrients are!

*************

I just wanted to update you guys on the winner of the Gnu Fiber Bars giveaway. They never contacted me, so I chose a new winner. Click over to the original post to see if it’s you.

1 Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor June 28, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I love hard boiled eggs! So yummy, nutritious & filling! I put them in a muffin tin and bake them in the oven for 20 min… I saw that method on Pinterest and it really works out just fine!

2 Jillian June 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Gotta love Pinterest! I need to try that method, for sure.

3 Danielle D June 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm

haha this post definitely has me wanting to make hard boiled eggs for dinner! I’ll be sure to use that fast method from the chef!!! p.s. the GNU bars were delish – carrot cake was surprisingly my fave

4 Jillian June 30, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Glad you liked the Gnu bars!!!

5 Lauren June 28, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I have never had the best luck with hard boiling eggs so I usually buy Eggland’s Best Hardboiled Eggs in the bag whenever I get a craving. I know such a cop-out but it saves me so much grief!

6 Jillian June 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Thats okay! We all have our cop-out buys! lol I always buy pre-chopped mango, pre cut veggies, and portioned out chicken (but def organic!). Sometimes it’s just not worth the trouble!

7 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I am going to experiment and try this in the morning. My hard boiled eggs are always a joke, either over or undercooked. Probably because I am too busy to pay attention to them cooking, lol!!

8 Jillian June 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Well I promise if you follow one of these, you’ll have yourself some perfect hard boiled eggs!

9 Kammie @ Sensual Appeal June 28, 2012 at 11:05 pm

This actually couldn’t have come at a better time. I have some eggs in the fridge and I usually eat them fried or scrambled but I’ve been thinking about boiling the rest and then this post comes up right as I was gonna look up how many minutes to do it for. Perfect :) Thanks!

10 Jillian June 30, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Awww I hope they come out delicious!! :)

11 Meredith @ DareYouTo June 28, 2012 at 11:13 pm

You and I must be on the same wavelength — I always always think how I should hard-boil eggs for the week and rarely do, and literally–THIS WEEK– I finally did! It was a great success! (I’ll blog about it eventually; you beat me to the punch.)

My method was similar to your first one, cooking uncovered, but I didn’t time it. I let it come to a boil before removing from the heat and covering for 10 minutes. Then I swapped it into cold water like you did , and they came out nice & smelly :) I’ll try your method above; sounds simple and doable, and your eggs do look perfect!

12 Jillian June 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm

That is so funny! I feel like that always happens to me when I read blogs; I either did something similar or was about to and then I read about it coincidentally that same day!

13 Lisa June 29, 2012 at 12:06 am

I never boil eggs because I’m always afraid I’ll mess them up. So I usually stick to omeletted or scrambled. I swear I never get them right.

14 Val @ Tips on Healthy Living June 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I think the trick is the timer. I use something similar to the first method but I lower the heat slighty to simmer instead of boil and set the timer on 10 minutes. I’ve noticed that if you have it at a high boil the eggs knock around and crack. Love that you did this experiment!!

15 Jillian June 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Yeah I actually neglected to mention that one of the eggs cracked open. I had it at too high off a boil, that’s why I wrote medium-high instead of high! Oops!

16 Alysha @Shesontherun June 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I heard putting vinegar in the water will help the yolks stay bright yellow. I’ve only tried it once, but it worked!

17 Jillian June 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I heard baking soda helps the shells come off better, too!