WIAW & Let’s Forget About the Fact That…

by Jillian on June 27, 2012 · 18 comments

Let’s forget about the fact that I didn’t go to the beach yesterday and focus on how I cleaned the entire office, tidied up my work space, and finally swapped out all of my winter clothes for my summer clothes. Something came up with my friend, so we weren’t able to go, but I can’t complain because it feels so good to have a clean work space! Oh, and to know what clothes I have available to wear this summer.

Let’s forget about the fact that I found a way to incorporate the last birthday cupcake into my after dinner snack.

No sugar added coconut milk ice cream, TruWhip, Justin’s vanilla almond butter, and sprinkles make for my usual snack, but I felt the need to crumble a red velvet cupcake on top. I’ll chalk it up as post birthday blues.

Let’s forget about the fact that I may not be able to walk tomorrow after the leg workout I did today.

Let’s forget the fact that Joe dressed up my egg this morning.

I stepped away for one minute and when I came back I noticed the ‘”beret”, as Joe called it. I guess we now know another way to use spinach, aside from packing 3 cups of it into a smoothie. We proceeded to give him sprinkle eyes.

Let’s not forget about the fact that I start training for my half marathon next week!

I worked out a plan that works perfectly with the vacations we’ll be taking this summer. Luckily, we travel on Sunday and Thursday both times and those are rest day! As for the Labor day vacation I have planned, I’ll just have to suck it up!

*****

WIAW – Weekly Grocery Haul

This week’s haul was pretty lean. I already had chicken, beans, and some other things on hand so I didn’t really need to stock up on a whole lot.

• the usual smoothie necessities; spinach and berries
  • hummus
  • frozen brussels sprouts for quick meals

• some more produce; avocado and bananas

• the milks; almond & coconut
  • farm fresh eggies
  • chobes
  • silk creamer for my coffee addiction

And last but not least, a new to me bread that I couldn’t pass by. It’s made from sprouted wheat berries and contains organic flax seeds. it’s only 50 calories per slice and is packed with nutrients. Wheee! I’m always so picky about sandwich bread. I see lots hummus and avocado sandwiches in my future.

That’s it! I have a dentist appointment before work so I have to jet.

******

Question: For those of you who have done half marathons, or even marathons, what is your advice for lifting during training? I intended to do it on cross training days, but should I really be doing the elliptical or bike on those days, or does lifting count? I don’t want to lose my muscle but I also don’t want to burn own while training. Help!?

1 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets June 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hey there! I’ve just started a half-marathon training plan as well! It’s my first one, but I’ve done other long distance races and have made training plans that worked well for me at the time. What I find works best is doing 3 runs each week + either 2-3 days of weight training. With all the running, there’s really no need to do EVEN more cardio on the days you aren’t running.. and you don’t want to lose your hard-earned muscle! I’d love to hear other people’s suggestions as well :)

2 Jillian June 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I lift about 3 days a week now – 2 days for upper body and 1 day for legs, so I am hoping to get in 2 days of lifting during my cross training days. I don’t know where I will fit the 3rd, though!

3 Ashley June 27, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I have a few comments!!
1. Where do you buy coconut milk ice cream?? Is it completely dairy free?
2. I think I buy the same bread! It was expensive though, but worth it. Only has about 6 ingredients!
3. I like to lift on the days I run. Honestly you get burned out sometimes so rest days should be for complete rest. I didn’t use to do that but I switched things up during my second round of marathon training and the race was like night and day. Giving my body time to recover from the hard days was crucial!

My marathon training has started too! Stressful, but I am excited!

4 Jillian June 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm

1. I bought it at Whole Foods. It’s made by So Delicious and has absolutely no dairy!
2. It was $3.79. There’s a little more than 6 ingredients but there were other varieties from this bakery.
3. I definitely want to take rest days as rest days, so I am hoping that I have enough time on “cross training” days to lift how I usually do.

Good luck with your marathon!! :)

5 Lisa June 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I hope we get some of that coconut almond milk soon! I’ve heard awesome things about that one. I LOVE frozen brussels sprouts, for some reason I like them better than fresh…odd. Haha, I love the dressed up egg, too cute ;) Good luck at the dentist!

6 Jillian June 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm

The frozen ones aren’t bad!

The dentist went well! All clean! :) lol

7 Lindsay @ Conscious Cravings June 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I’ve seriously been looking for that coconut almond milk forever. I think I’m gonna have to hit up the big guys and go to all the big health markets in Austin. It totally will be worth it.

You should def share that ice cream treat with me. Sprinkles and cupcakes make everything better when they are on top of ice cream. I’m jealous.

8 Jillian June 27, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I got mine at my local chain grocery store – but I’ve found it at specialty health food stores, too.

9 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes June 27, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I’m with Lisa. I can’t find that almond/coconut milk anywhere. Your cupcake snack looks awesome. Birthday’s only come but once a year ;)

10 Alysha @ Shesontherun June 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I’m training for my third half (I think I’m going to do Hal Higdon’s intermediate program). I always did Bodypump 1-2 days per week during training. I think keeping your strength is super important for runners.

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm

So that might be the cutest egg I’ve ever seen! And that’s the only time I think I’ll ever say that… ;)

12 Jillian June 27, 2012 at 11:09 pm

hahahha if you ever say that again, you need to tell me.

13 Kammie @ Sensual Appeal June 27, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Oh I have to find that breD after I’m done with Ezekiel because of the lower calorie count. Love it

14 Jillian June 27, 2012 at 11:09 pm

it reminds me of ezekiel a lot!

15 Kammie June 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Perfect :)

16 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 28, 2012 at 2:20 am

When your coconut milk ice cream/TruWhip/sprinkles/red velvet cupcake concoction popped up in Instagram last night, I about peed in my pants. Oh yesss. You know how to do dessert! I have an addiction to TruWhip (which I guess is better than my past addiction to Cool Whip, but still out of control) and I LOVE no sugar added coconut milk ice cream (I have three favors in my freezer right now). Long story short: I need this exact same dessert in my life. <3

Congrats on starting your half marathon training! I've never run a formal half marathon, but I have covered 13 miles pretty regularly (when I was running way too much!), and definitely wish I'd worked in several days of strength training to prevent muscle loss. I don't think the extra cardio is necessary, since your runs will be pretty substantial!

HUGS! xoxo

17 Irina @ Chocolatea Time June 28, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Not gonna lie…I have done zero X-training since training for my half marathon. I plan to do it for my next big race so I’m looking forward to reading about your schedule!

Also, you MUST try the sprouted cinnamon raisin bagels by that same brand (Alvarado St. Bakery)…so delicious! They are my pre-long run snack on weekends and I have no stomach problems or aches.

18 Jillian June 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I didn’t see any bagels from Alvarado St. at my grocery store – I hope they start selling them though! I love cinnamon raisin!