Stinky Lunch

by Jillian on June 14, 2012 · 14 comments

Well, after taking a rest day yesterday and ending my night at work with disco fries (fries topped with gravy and mozzarella cheese, for those of you who haven’t had the joy of trying them), I knew I wanted to get a good sweat on today!

Upper body and cardio were on the agenda today. I worked my back, shoulders, and chest by following my go to upper body workout. For the shoulder raises, I did alternating lateral and front raises. This workout is great because it keeps you moving, you use lighter weights with more reps, and it really gets your heart pumping. Not only is it strength training, but it’s cardio too!

After that, I hopped on the treadmill for 25 minutes doing random bouts of intervals and inclines. There was no rhyme or reason to any of it, I was just trying to keep myself from getting bored!

******

I had a green protein smoothie as usual, so I’ll spare you the picture. Instead, I’ll let you in a stinky secret.

I’ll admit, the smell that takes over the kitchen after opening a can of tuna fish grosses me out a little bit. I feel like I am constantly trying to find new ways to enjoy tuna from the can that are not the traditional mayonnaise salad version. Hummus has become a staple for mixing with it, but just that is not enough. Today, I whipped out the sriracha! I squirted a ton into the tuna & hummus mixture to make it spicy but then added lemon juice to balance it out.

I contemplated for a minute about what else to add. It didn’t take me long to think about a typical hot wing and blue cheese combo. Well, we had gorgonzola in the fridge, so into the mixture it went! I used brown rice cakes for the base of my “sandwich’”.

Stinky tuna & stinky blue cheese made for a really stinky lunch. But, it was a really good combo and the sriracha and blue cheese significantly masked the fishiness of the tuna.

I enjoyed a simple arugula, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil salad on the side.

Now for some stinky work before dinner in the city with some lovely ladies. More on that another time!

• What’s the weirdest food combination you’ve eaten lately?

1 Paige @ Running Around Normal June 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Disco fries sound like the stuff dreams are made of :)

2 Marilyn June 14, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I like tuna salad, , but only with regular mayo, celery and onions. Don’t have it too often because I try to avoid the mayo. The low fat mayo tastes awful to me.

3 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm

This is going to sound gross probably but it is really pretty good. I like to mix my tuna with a little Franks Buffalo sauce, a teeny bit of olive oil, salt pepper and garlic power. Then I warm it up in the microwave and put it on rice cakes. Yum!!!

4 Jillian June 14, 2012 at 9:53 pm

No that sounds delicious! I found buffalo style hummus once and mixed it with tuna and it was so good – afterwards I was like hmm.. I can just add buffalo sauce in! Yum!

5 Lauren June 14, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I am constantly stinking up the kitchen. I think the worst offender is roasted brussels sprouts and/or broccoli. Put the two together and it’s pretty much lethal. :)

6 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 15, 2012 at 2:13 am

I was nodding all the way through this post because I’m the queen of stinky food! I’m pretty certain that my housemates looooove the fact that I steam broccoli and cauliflower on a regular basis, cook fish several nights/week, open cans of tuna, hard boil bucket loads of eggs, pack the fridge with stinky cheeses (grgonzola lover here, too!)….In fact, now that I think about it, at least 50% of the food I eat smells bad! Oy.

I may be losing friends right and left, but hey, it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make for my health (and the delight of my tastebuds). :-p I definitely need to try your stinky tuna-cheese combo! Yum. <3

7 Bridgette June 15, 2012 at 2:20 am

I can’t believe I didn’t think to ask you earlier but I’m coming to NYC tomorrow for the weekend for a girl’s weekend to celebrate my birthday and we’ve been trying to figure out some good places to eat. Duh!!

Have a great weekend!
Bridgette

8 Jillian June 15, 2012 at 9:52 am

Ahhh Happy Birthday! Mine is next Saturday! :) Have a blast in NYC! Some great places for food are The Meatball Shop (just tried it yesterday and I’m already dreaming about it), Otto (great wine list, appetizers, and so many kinds of pizza – Mario Batali’s place), Bluewater Grill (if you like seafood), The Smith was really good – went for dinner a few months ago, John’s pizza on bleeker street if you’re looking for low key, drinks: Blind Tiger across from John’s on bleeker – awesome beer list, 230 Fifth for drinks if you’re looking for a more swanky place, dessert- Magnolia Bakery, Baked by Melissa cupcakes… I feel like I could go on forever! lol Let me know where you end up going! :)

9 Bridgette June 24, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hey Jillian, thanks for the suggestions on places to eat in NYC and we did use one of your suggestions! We stayed at The Palace on Madison and went to Tao for lunch the first day which was amazing and just did drinks on the patio of the hotel for “dinner” lol Actually mom and my sister did a pizza run at about 10pm which we just ate in our room. The 2nd night though, was the night we wanted a nice place and we decided to try the Bluewater Grill and YUMM!! What a great suggestion, thank you so much. They sent our table a nice dessert tasting tray because it was my birthday and the Chocolate crunch bar was TO DIE FOR!!! Earlier in the day we also hit Georgetown Cupcakes in Soho, Totally worth the brief wait because not only were the cupcakes amazing but because they were opening a new store in Boston that day, they were giving away 1 free cupcake to everyone that came in! (of course we didn’t leave with just our free ones lol) If you ever go there, I HIGHLY reccomend their Salted Caramel cupcake-amazing.

Thanks again for a great suggestion!
Bridgette

10 Jillian June 25, 2012 at 10:27 am

Bridgette – I’m so happy you had a great birthday weekend in NYC! I’ve been to Bluewater twice and both times it was amazing! I’m glad you enjoyed it and even got a free birthday dessert! Ill have to try out Georgetown cupcakes. I didn’t know we got one in the city! I thought it was only in DC. Good to know! :)

11 Bridgette June 25, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I can only speak about the Salted Caramel and Mint Cookie flavors but they were the best I’ve EVER had! It’s on Mercer Street in Soho….RUN, GO NOW! lol

12 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean June 15, 2012 at 8:12 am

i put hummus and avocado in my tuna salad instead of mayo…or i use greek yogurt. and i usually season it with cayenne, curry powder and dry mustard. SO GOOD!

13 Jillian June 15, 2012 at 9:53 am

I’ve heard greek yogurt but have yet to try it…but avocado!? That’s going to have to happen soon…along with the curry and dry mustard! YUM!

14 Irina @ Chocolatea Time June 15, 2012 at 9:16 am

My absolute favorite way to eat canned tuna is by mixing it with a mashed avocado. It’s incredibly creamy and filling!