Taste the Rainbow (Sprinkles)

by Jillian on June 7, 2012 · 15 comments

Last night, my friend Keira and I went to people watch dinner. Hoboken has a ton of outdoor seating and we found a prime spot. I enjoyed a spinach salad with grilled shrimp, cashews, cucumbers, orange segments, and an avocado compliments of Keira’s cobb salad. We followed up with fro-yo from a new place in town. I’m usually a chocoholic but I went with a berry, mango, coconut, chopped nut, & buttload of sprinkles mixture and it was really tasty. I insisted that they were the best tasting sprinkles I’ve ever had, but Keira disagreed. She said that sprinkles don’t taste like anything. Being a sprinkle enthusiast, I’m pretty sure that rainbow sprinkles do, in fact, have a “flavor”. What do you think?

IMG_1868IMG_1870

Anyway, the weather was beautiful and it was so nice to get out and enjoy some time away from studying and work.

Workout & Breakfast

This morning I woke up in a running mood. I guess I’m just celebrating National Running Day a day late. I can only handle so many days of the gym in a row before I get antsy to go outside. I geared up not knowing how far I’d run, but I felt good right off the bat.

I ran around the neighborhood before heading to the park and eventually the track. I averaged about a 9 minute mile and it definitely felt like an easy pace the whole run. Woohoo! 4.5 in 40:50, cool – right? I’m not the only one infatuated with numbers!

I probably could have run a bit more but it started to get warm and I could feel myself getting a little sunburnt! I didn’t wear sunscreen (eek!), but I did wear my Oakley Overtime sunglasses & SweatyBand from fitblognyc. I really love the sunglasses for runs. They stay put and are super lightweight!

Excuse the blurry iPhone photo. I stuck my face in a smoothie immediately after arriving home. I blended a frozen banana, berries, almond milk, spinach, flax, and vanilla protein powder. Simple yet effective.

PB Crave Winner

I still haven’t heard from the PB Crave winner! Click over to the original post to see if it’s you. If I don’t hear back by Monday morning (one week after the winner was announced), I’ll choose a new winner.

Sleep Cycle

I’ve been using the sleep cycle app on my iPhone for the past 3 nights. It’s pretty cool. I original read about it on Teri’s blog and thought, “how is my phone going to stay under my pillow all night on the charger and not get knocked off the bed”. Plus, Joe moves around a lot, so I thought it wouldn’t be the true reading. It sense movement on the bed, so it can detect if you are truly in a deep sleep or not.

sleepcycle

This was Tuesday night into Wednesday. I woke up feeling like I got enough sleep and was able to easily get out of bed around 7am. But Monday night in Tuesday?

sleepcycle2

I felt like butt and couldn’t get out of bed until almost 9:00! Obviously, I didn’t sleep well. I totally believe the stats this app has shown me! I did get into a deep sleep on Tuesday night, but not on Monday night, which explains how I felt in the morning.

The app also gives you a 30 minute window for an alarm to go off, so it bases it off of how “awake” you are during that time and the alarm will go off when it feels that you will be well rested. Don’t you hate waking up out of a deep sleep? It’s that terrible groggy feeling where you just want to cry. Anyway, the sounds that you can choose from are so peaceful (despite the fact that Joe’s alarm is the most obnoxious one the iPhone offers – “Alarm”). Also, all you have to do is touch the phone and it snoozes for you.

Pretty cool, eh?

Alright, off to get some work & studying in. Later!

• What’s your favorite new app?
  • Rainbow sprinkles have a taste, right? I’m not crazy?

1 Jocelyn @Peace Love Nutrition June 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’m with you! They definitely have a flavor

2 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Loving the numbers!
And, umm, if that winner doesn’t come forward…ahem… ;)

3 Alysha @Shesontherun June 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Sorry, Jillian. I cannot taste sprinkles! I think it’s because I have such a sweet tooth that I don’t notice “slightly sweet” flavors. I love the Jet Fit app – it gives me great ideas for exercising specific muscles.

4 Em @ Living & Learning June 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm

sprinkles def have a flavor, it just hard to explain. & that sleep cycle app looks so neat, Im going to need to check it out :)

5 Kelsey June 7, 2012 at 12:29 pm

This made me laugh, my boyfriend and I have this discussion on a regular basis–sprinkles totally have a taste!! An amazing one at that!

6 Chels R. June 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm

That app is way cool! Oh and I agree on the sprinkles. So I bought some confetti sprinkles at the grocery store in the baking aisle (to try and re-create your cool whip concoction) and they were NOT good at all! They tasted crunchy and weird! lol I prefer the ones at the frozen yogurt place way better!

7 Bridgette June 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Wow, that app is really cool. I don’t have an iphone but I wonder if they have it for an Android phone. I’m gonna have to check that out.

Sprinkles definitely have a flavor! I feel like the chocolate sprinkles have a stronger flavor but the rainbow sprinkles have a sweet, slightly fruity flavor. It also depends on how fresh they are.

8 Danielle June 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm

That sleep cycle app looks so cool! And I think sprinkles definitely have a taste/flavor to them. Kind of fruity, I guess lol. p.s. when I read this article I thought of you – http://www.refinery29.com/kale-smoothie-recipe haha, yay for kale!

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I haven’t used the Sleep Cycle App for quite some time but I do think it’s really cool and it’s definitely interesting to see how your nights sleep looks vs how you feel the next day. I should get back to using it again.

10 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List June 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

What cool (and albeit, weird) app!!! Gonna try it!

11 Lisa June 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Haha, I love number games like that too. I’m a math nerd. That sleep cycle looks really interesting, I really should track my sleep, because I bet I don’t get enough at all. I don’t eat sprinkles ever, so wouldn’t know hah.

12 Kayla June 8, 2012 at 6:48 am

anyone who says sprinkles don’t taste like anything is crazy!! sprinkles make any ice cream or dessert 100x !

13 Jillian June 8, 2012 at 9:50 am

Yes, they do! I LOVE sprinkles! :)

14 Alyssa June 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm

My stomping grounds! Love & Yogurt???? :)

15 Jillian June 13, 2012 at 2:17 pm

YES! How good is it, right!?