WIAW: Smart Snacking

by Jillian on June 6, 2012 · 11 comments

Yay for smart snacking!

This week, I am really getting back into the swing of things as far as workouts and eating clean. After a few weeks of taking it down a notch and allowing some extra snacks sneak into my diet, I’m starting fresh! So needless to say, I was excited when Jenn announced that sensible snacking was the June theme for WIAW!

Let’s start with my groceries this week.

It was pretty much the usual stuff, but I’ll break it down for you.

• strawberries
  • blackberries
  • blueberries
  • coconut milk
  • almond milk
  • silk creamer
  • bananas
  • cool whip (minus one point)
  • LUNA chocolate dipped coconut bar (on sale, couldn’t resist!)

• mushrooms
  • watermelon
  • chicken
  • tissues
  • body wash

• a new to me all natural BBQ sauce (no high fructose corn syrup!)
  • chapstick (I love this one – it’s super orangey and refreshing)
  • Green Mountain K cups (on sale!)

Deal of the century, I tell you.

• squash
  • eggplant
  • almonds
  • avocado
  • Annie’s mac & cheese for last minute hunger purposes (ie. I got home at 9pm from running errands all day and was starving)
  • stale sprinkles which were later returned for these (Memorial day?) sprinkles:

• arugula
  • baby spinach

And that’s it, folks! I prepped everything the following day. I marinated the squash, eggplant, mushrooms, and pepper in olive oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper while mixing the chicken with the BBQ sauce.

IMG_1419IMG_1420

Then, it was grill time!

I had a delicious lunch and have plenty of leftovers for the week!

I paired the grilled chicken and veggies with a salad of arugula, grilled pineapple, and avocado.

Sensible Snacks

Here are some of the snacks that I enjoyed the last two days (and are typically my go-to’s for smart snacking!).

Bars

IMG_1844IMG_1421

Fruit & Nuts

Greek yogurt & granola (okay okay, breakfast!?)

IMG_1418IMG_1416

lemon chobani with lemon blueberry granola (from Blend!) and blueberries

Green smoothies

vanilla almond milk, 1 peach, 1/2 frozen banana, spinach, 1 scoop vanilla sunwarrior, flax, & cinnamon

• What is your favorite sensible snack?

1 Alysha @Shesontherun June 6, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I love Annie’s Homegrown :) My favorite sensible snack is homemade trail mix – almonds, pretzels, raisins and dark chocolate.

2 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm

yum! so many great looking eats! some of my favorite sensible snacks are: Luna bars, Larabars, fruit + greek yogurt, fruit + cottage cheese, nuts & dried fruit or trail mix, and banana + nut butter!

3 Jillian June 7, 2012 at 11:18 am

Those are all on my go-to snack list, too! :)

4 Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness June 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I love fruit and nut combos in a bar or trail mix. Oh and banana with almond butter. Yum! I’ve been craving watermelon. Now even more so after seeing your photos :)

[Fitness, Health and Happiness]

5 chelcie @ chelcie's food files June 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm

i haven’t tried the chocolate dipped coconut luna bar yet but i need to those sound delicious!

6 Jillian June 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

It’s now my new favorite!

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 6, 2012 at 6:17 pm

that lemon blueberry granola from BLEND is TO DIE FOR!! I seriously need to hunt some down and get more. I had some of the best yogurt parfaits with that stuff. haha! :)

8 Jillian June 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

I think you can buy it online!

9 Val @ Tips on Healthy Living June 6, 2012 at 9:05 pm

The grilled pineapple salad looks divine! I’m all for a handful of raw nuts and dried fruit like cranberries but other faves are celery with almond butter and an apple with a part-skim mozzarella stick (do those make me sound like a kindergartener?? ;)

10 Jillian June 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

Not at all! :) Those are delicious & healthy snacks!

11 Kammie @ Sensual Appeal June 6, 2012 at 11:45 pm

So much Yum in this post! You guys really stocked up on some deliciousness. I need to get my hands on some berries.