This morning was upper body & arm day for me! I read recently about the importance of incorporating unilateral (one side) and bilateral (both sides) movements into your workouts. Training both ways helps with possible weaknesses and imbalances on either side. For instance, maybe while you are doing seated cable rows, one side is actually working harder than the other because it is stronger. Doing a one arm bent over barbell row will strengthen that side individually.
I decided to incorporate this into my routine today.
Unilateral & Bilateral Upper Body Workout
I focused on each body part individually, completing 4 sets of each exercise before moving onto the next. For the one-arm exercises, I alternated to complete 4 sets on each side. I listed the weight and reps (some I couldn’t remember but it’s an estimate) I performed, but please modify it to the level at which you feel comfortable. The only body part without a unilateral movement is chest, but the seated fly machine does technically give each side free reign.
- lat cable pull downs (70 lb, 12 reps)
- one-arm dumbbell bent over row (15 lb, 18 reps)
- front lateral raise combo with barbells (8 lb, 20 reps)
- one-arm dumbbell press (12 lb. 12 reps)
- fly machine (30 lb, 12 reps)
- pushups (as many as possible before switching to modified)
- cable pull downs (15 lb, 12 reps)
- one-arm dumbbell kickbacks (5 lb, 15-18 rep)
- bicep cable hammer curls (30 lb, 12 reps)
- one-arm bicep dumbbell curls (10 lb. 12-15 reps)
I definitely felt the burn and was sweating even before I hopped on the elliptical for 25 minutes of interval training.
I also munched on some fresh watermelon.
I usually enjoy a cup of coffee after breakfast. I don’t know why, but I can’t really enjoy it during. So, I studied and sipped.
I know it seems like it has been forever but I am in the home stretch folks! That’s all I’ll say for now.
Oh, and my mom sent me an avocado cuber which I opened up this morning.
How cool is that and how sweet is she? Love!
- What’s the coolest kitchen gadget you got recently?
- Do you enjoy your coffee before, with, or after breakfast?