500 Bicycles & Full Body Barbell Workout

by Jillian on June 2, 2012 · 14 comments

How are you guys? I was M.I.A. yesterday because I worked a double shift (10:30am to close, first cut). I was cut by 10pm but Joe and I stayed to eat something and hang out for a bit.

I had planned on doing legs yesterday but I just couldn’t get myself out of bed before the long work day, so I just chalked it up as a rest day. Today I managed to squeeze in legs AND upper body. I started off as I usually do: abdominals. I had no idea what I was going to do and I just blurted out to Joe; “I’m going to do 500 bicycles!”. Well, I ended up doing just that! I completed 100, rested, and mixed other ab exercises in between before completing another set of 100, until I hit 500 bicycle crunches. By the last set my abs were on fire and I could barely finish, but I pushed myself. It felt great!

The gym is always so crowded on Saturday mornings so I wanted to do something simple but effective. I figured a one piece of equipment workout would do the trick. A barbell!

Full Body Barbell Workout

Repeat each set of exercises back to back 4 times (or as many sets as you can do), completing as many reps as possible. Choose a weight that is manageable for both exercises so you don’t have to switch barbells.

• barbell squats
  • bent over barbell row

~~~

~~~

• barbell deadlifts
  • barbell chest press

~~~

I actually ended up doing non-barbell exercises for the rest of my workout, but I’d recommend these two to finish off with arms.

• barbell bicep curls
  • skull crushers (with barbell, for triceps)

I also through in some weighted calf raises at the end followed by 25 minutes on the bike. I have a feeling my entire body is going to be screaming at me tomorrow morning.

Breakfast

Okay, you guys might get sick of these soon, but……

Seriously, with all this Chobani, I can’t help but make delicious parfaits.

I layered granola with raspberry Chobani (um hello! I forgot how good this flavor is!), bananas, blackberries, and strawberries.

Absolutely delicious.

Now I am just sipping on some iced coffee before I start getting ready for work.

IMG_1393IMG_1394

How nice is this weather? Joe and I are trying to figure out what we are doing tomorrow. We both need new running shoes so we were thinking about going into the city to Jack Rabbit and making a day out of it with dinner, etc. I’m definitely going to need them this month because……….

Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 1.25.08 PM

Training starts on my birthday – June 23rd! Surprise! It will be my first one!

• Do you have a good suggestion for a half marathon training plan for someone who hasn’t run one before, has only run 8 miles at the most, but is currently at a lull and only running about 5 miles max? I’ve researched a few so I have a good idea, but any suggestions would help!

1 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes June 2, 2012 at 2:32 pm

You can do so much with a barbell! I love good mornings! Most people hate them. You have to go slow and be careful but they are awesome!

2 Lisa June 2, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Parfaits rock, I think Chobani should really come to Canada, I am dying to try their yogurt. Great barbell workout, that’s one piece of equipment I tend to neglect most of the time

3 Jillian June 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Oh no! Can you not get it shipped or anything to Canada either?

4 Lisa June 4, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Hm, that’s a good question. I’m actually not too sure!

5 Em @ living & learning June 2, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Whoa good for you for getting in that full body workout. I managed 40 min of cardio this morning but couldn’t Bring myself to stay in the gym any longer on this beautiful Saturday! And wow congrats for signing up, a half marathon is on my bucket list but I applaud you for signing up and going for it!

6 Jillian June 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I figured once I sign up I’ll force myself to train – I’ve been saying it for so long, I’m just going to do it! :)

7 Alysha @Shesontherun June 2, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Congrats! I’ve followed Hal Higdon’s novice training plan twice and it’s awesome.

8 Lindsay June 3, 2012 at 7:07 am

My first half I ran more than 13 miles as my long run and finished in just under 2 hours. The second one my longest run was 11 miles but I ran around 30 miles a week, and beat my time by 10 minutes! So more miles and not too long of a long run work best from my experience. =)

9 Jillian June 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Hmm that is interesting! I definitely need to experiment while training!

10 Bianca June 3, 2012 at 10:46 am

Hi Jillian,

I just recently found your blog and I am totally loving it. I am also a server/ bartender in a NYC restaurant, and am trying to figure out the next step in pursuing a career in a field related to health and nutrition. I know you said in an earlier post that you are struggling to balance out all of the different opportunities you are pursuing, but I think it’s really awesome that you are going for it.
Working a crazy restaurant schedule can be a good excuse to skip studying or the gym, but it looks like you are just powering through!

11 Jillian June 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hi Bianca! It’s definitely a struggle and like you said, the restaurant industry doesn’t help. We should meet up sometime in the city to chat!

12 Chelsea June 3, 2012 at 11:52 am

Check out Hal Higdon online, there are some great training programs on there! Best of luck Jillian, you will do awesome!

13 Jillian June 4, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Chelsea! I’ve seen his and I think that is probably what I’ll go with! :)

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I’M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! and I highly recommend Hal Higdon. He’s what I used for my marathon!