WIAW: Rainbow Minus the Blue

by Jillian on May 30, 2012 · 16 comments

I just got a call from work telling me that I’m not needed tonight. There was supposed to be a party but it was cancelled. So here I am, having my own party… on a plate!

Seriously, we have every color of the rainbow here! But more on that in a minute.

After spending my day off yesterday getting my hair and nails done (I finally feel like a girl again), I needed to spend this morning getting my life in order. First things first, grocery shopping! Joe suggested that I use our grocery store’s home delivery service where you order online. Impossible. I want to pick out the bananas that are just the right ripeness and the sweet potato that’s not too big and not too small. Online ordering simply just won’t work for Miss OCD over here.

ocd

Plus, you never know what you’re going to find while perusing down the aisles. I can’t take a chance on missing something. Despite this, today was a quick trip and I picked up mostly the basics, besides for the few little sneaky items that found their way into my cart when I wasn’t looking.

• nanners (some ripe, some not, for eating fresh and freezing)
  • almond & coconut milk
  • horseradish and eggplant hummus

• cottage cheese
  • strawberries
  • blackberries
  • spinach
  • fat free cool whip & sprinkles (the culprits)

• avocado
  • peaches
  • red peppers
  • sweet potato
  • Mann’s broccoli rainbow salad

I had intentions of using the canned tuna fish that has been in the cabinet for a while. The intention is always to use what I have on hand, but I somehow end up with more and more food that just sits there uneaten.

Thank god the tuna’s expirations date is September 2014. Phew!

All this salad needs is some blueberries and it’s a rainbow!

• red peppers
  • orange peach skin
  • yellow peach insides & nooch
  • green broccoli & avocado
  • blue
  • purple cabbage
  • ….and tuna mixed with cottage cheese and horseradish hummus

I was clearly a little impatient with the produce because the avocado and peach were not ripe.

Anyway, Joe and I are convinced that our diets have been so thrown off because we’re used to having our peanut butter cool whip sprinkle spoons. This used to satisfy our sweet craving for the day, but it started to get a little out of hand so I stopped buying whip and sprinkles for a few months. Maybe this is why we’ve been satisfying our cravings with other options that are worse? Well, I bought one container of cool whip (they were on sale 10/$10!) so we can ease back into it. It’s like giving a little kid a tub a candy; no self control at all.

I’m off to study! I was supposed to attend a Pedal NYC class tonight, but I thought I had work. Since I already had a pretty intense upper body & cardio workout this morning, I don’t know if I’ll attend now that I don’t have work. I’m not typically a two a day person.

• Have you ever worked out more than once in a day? I have in certain situations where, for example, I knew I had a yoga class planned, but wanted to do some cardio earlier in the day.
  • What’s one thing you can’t have in your kitchen because you have no self control around it? SPRINKLES!

1 Sara @my less serious life May 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm

i haven’t bought canned tuna and made tuna salad in too long! this looks great!

2 Jillian May 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Yeah I used to make it a lot more because it’s so quick and easy!

3 Emily May 30, 2012 at 1:45 pm

i had to stop buying cereal & peanut butter because the entire box and/or jar would always be gone within two days without me even realizing what I was doing. .. my self control is seriously lacking!

4 Jillian May 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Cereal is another killer, that’s for sure!

5 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess May 30, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I just found your blog! Your blog name is too cute! I have no self control on goldfish crackers and potato chips. I don’t even like them that much I just can never stop eating them. Ice cream is another one, but that is my all time favorite dessert!!

6 Jillian May 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Thank you!! :) OOOoo I used to LOVE goldfish!

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm

“The intention is always to use what I have on hand, but I somehow end up with more and more food that just sits there uneaten.” <– SAME HERE! It's good to know I'm not alone. haha!

8 Jillian May 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm

It’s a bad habit!

9 Alysha @Shesontherun May 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm

There is no way I could order from a place like Pea Pod – i love grocery shopping too much. Planning meals, reading labels, browsing, you name it. I always have sprinkles in the house because i am a big decorator. But if I had a cake lying around (or anything from a bakery), I am in serious trouble.

10 Jillian May 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Yes – I love browsing the grocery store. I enjoy it WAY too much!

11 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident May 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Eating the rainbow is the best! Its so pretty and its healthy too.

12 Lisa May 30, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I can’t believe you love sprinkles so much, haha this is going to sound crazy but when I was 8 I actually had a fear of sprinkles. Like I couldn’t go anywhere near them, they literally scared me. It was a bizarre phobia and I have no idea how I got it or how it went away…I’m odd. I’ve worked out more than once a day, especially when I was a competitive swimmer, we usually trained at least once a day, 3 times a week twice a day.

13 Jillian May 31, 2012 at 10:27 am

Oh my gosh – scared of sprinkles! lol – that is sort of odd but really funny!

Yeah a lot of high school and college sports do two a days – I forgot about that! Swimming is tough – I’ve always wanted to get into it to do tri’s. I can swim, like keep myself afloat, but I honestly don’t really know the right way to front stroke, back stroke etc. (are those even the names? lol) but I would LOVE to learn!

14 Irina @ Chocolatea Time May 31, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I just tried horseradish hummus for the first time last week and loved it! I seriously can’t get enough.

I always end up buying tuna cans and forgetting about them. Yes…thankfully the expiration dates are all years out!

15 Jessica June 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm

The salad looks like an awesome combo! I love seeing all the colors!

16 Sunnie (moderngirlnutrition.wordpress) June 3, 2012 at 12:42 am

Making this salad for sure! Looks delicious:)