CrossFit Fund

by Jillian on May 17, 2012 · 21 comments

So, who wants to donate to Jill’s CrossFit fund? Thanks.

Seriously, I get why people would chalk up the $250 per month. It’s awesome. It was awesome and I loved every minute of it. But, I cannot justify it.  My birthday is coming up, so maybe I’ll add that to my wish list.

Anyway, I learned that I can’t do a full sit-up (where you do a sit up and come to a standing position without using your hands) without using my hands, CrossFit burpees are different than regular burpees (your entire body has to touch the floor), and a 14 lb. medicine ball is a lot heavier after 3 sets of push presses and thrusters.

This just brings out the competitive side of me and makes me want to master all of these things. After a quick jog and stretch warm up, we did three one minute rounds of f the following:

• Row
  • MB Thruster
  • Box Jump (20 inches)
  • MB Push Press
  • Full situps
  • Burpees

My face was the color of a tomato and I was covered in sweat. I guess it being 70 degrees out with no air conditioning didn’t really help either.

This Morning

Slowly and steadily I’m getting back into my exercise routine.

I went for a quick run this morning in my new #fitblognyc goodies! I rocked my Oakley overtime sunglasses and one of my Sweaty Bands.

It was warmer than I thought in the sun and I was struggling a little bit during mile 3. I wasn’t sure how long I was going to run but that pretty much made up my mind for me. When I got home, I did some stretching and 1 minute each of the following ab exercises.

• crunches w/ straight legs in air
  • right side crunch
  • left side crunch
  • reverse crunch
  • straight leg hold (raised a few inches off ground)
  • plank

I haven’t been to my gym in almost a week and I kind of like it. I see more outdoor runs and home work outs in the near future.

Eats today included a cereal bowl with a mix of Trader Joe’s high fiber O’s, Erewhon Rice Twice (from Blend!), and Cascadian Farms oats and honey granola (from Blend, too!), unsweetened vanilla almond milk, black berries, strawberries, and bananas.

And later, a whole wheat tortilla with refried beans, topped with sauteed onions, peppers, and spinach scrambled with eggs, and finished with avocado, Chobani, and sriracha.

I also had some frozen grapes on the side. These have been in my freezer for I can’t remember how long. I swear they tasted like they were starting to ferment into wine. #iknowthatcanthappen

Off to study and have a little snack!

Larabar sent me some of their new uber bars to try out. I love the chunks of nuts and fruit which is definitely different from their traditional date based bars. They come in apple turnover, bananas foster, roasted nut roll, and cherry cobbler. They have similar stats to the regular Larabars, averaging about 200 calories but a bit more (healthy) fat due to the chunks of nuts. So far I’ve only tried the bananas foster, which is delicious! They are all made with dried fruit, nuts, and natural sweeteners. Definitely worth purchasing, especially if the regular Larabars aren’t your thing; these are much more textured.

• Have you tried CrossFit? How do you feel about the pricing?

1 Chels R. May 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Awesome job! Never tried Crossfit but I reallyreally want to! They have a free Saturday class at one of the ones near me so I may go check it out.

2 Jillian May 18, 2012 at 12:52 am

You definitely should. It’s addicting!

3 Emily May 17, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I love the idea of CrossFit as I think it would bring my competitiveness & really force me to give each workout my all – but i’m with you $250 is simply OUTRAGEOUS. I find that doing workouts at home is not for me – i can’t get in the right mentality to really push myself when the couch & tv is within my site, haha. but you go girl!

4 Jillian May 18, 2012 at 12:52 am

I’m not a good at home work out-er really, but it’s something I am trying to be better at!

5 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I really want to try CrossFit but I don’t have the money so I don’t want to get hooked and be sad.
Lol, got a little Kombucha-esqe buzz from the frozen grapes? ;)

6 Jillian May 18, 2012 at 12:51 am

Yes, so weird! lol Maybe it was just my imagination!

7 Ashley @ Freckles & Spice May 17, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I will donate to your cross fit fun and you donate to my soulcycle/flywheel fund.
Love those headbands we got in fitness swag. That pic looks pretty badass too.

8 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Had no CLUE that Crossfit was that much!! WOW!

9 Alysha @Shesontherun May 17, 2012 at 5:08 pm

There’s no way I could justify $250.month for Crossfit (just think about the clothes you could buy from Lululemon!). Although fitness is super important – there is a line.

10 Lauren May 17, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I’m dying to get into a cross fit class, I just haven’t been very proactive about looking for deals in my area.

You just inspired me to egg some eggs right now. :)

11 Danielle May 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I’ve been wanting to try those larbars forever now. I will have to buy the variety pack they have one day!

12 Irina @ Chocolatea Time May 17, 2012 at 11:23 pm

CrossFit is such an expensive class! You opened pandora’s box by trying it haha. It’s kind of like when you decide to try on an article of clothing and tell yourself that you’re “only going to see how it looks” and then end up loving it :) <–story of my life

13 Jillian May 18, 2012 at 12:51 am

Haha, I know that all too well, also!

14 Lisa May 18, 2012 at 12:11 am

I’m dying to try out a real crossfit class, but if you subscribe to certain sites, they post the workouts for the day. So you could always do them at the gym instead of the box. I’ve been doing that recently. Its still great, but I guess the whole experience of going to the box would be better. You’re right, it’s so expensive though! I am totally craving eggs and avocados now…

15 Jillian May 18, 2012 at 12:50 am

Yea Joe told me to just do it on my own, but I think it’s the whole community concept and competitive aspect that makes it more fun! I want to be doing it with a group and constantly be pushed, you know? Eggs + avocado = delish!

16 Missy May 18, 2012 at 6:29 am

Hi! I have been doing cross fit for about 2 months now and absolutely LOVE it!! I’ve never been in better shape, that’s for sure!! $200+ is absolutely outrageous!! I only pay $100 for a month unlimited!! It is addictive, but not for $250!!!

17 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 18, 2012 at 10:13 am

I hear ya on the CrossFit – SUPER fun but I just can’t justify the cost…

Now…tell me how messy it was for you to eat that wrap ;)

18 Jillian May 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm

It was a fork and knife situation. That’s for sure!

A little birdie told me I’m going to see you on Monday! Yay! :)

19 Emily May 20, 2012 at 7:21 am

Hey! I love cross-fit, and my gym is cool enough to have a punch card option for me, so I go once a week right now while I train for triathlons….

But typically my gym is $100 per month, which I still think is expensive (but worth it). $250 per month!?!?! That’s insane!

I would save that money and buy my own gym, haha.

20 Jillian May 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Haha seriously! It’s a lot of money!