Much Needed Motivation

by Jillian on May 16, 2012 · 16 comments

Hi friends! I realize that my posts this past week have mainly consisted of Blend & Fitness Meet & Tweet recaps. Sometimes, that’s just the way it goes; especially due to the way the past two weeks have gone for me, so I hope you don’t mind!

Ever since I got sick, I’ve been thrown off from my healthy eating and exercise routine. Why is it so hard to get back into it? It’s always an excuse such as work, social events, or time. I don’t have an excuse, really. I’ve just been lazy about it, but I’ve also been putting a lot more time into studying.

IMG_1657IMG_1656

I had an “everything is blowing up in my face” moment last week and realized that I really need to get cracking on finishing up and getting my personal training certificate. The more I get into it, the more I realize that it is truly what I want to do, despite my recent doubts.

It’s all about pacing myself and not feeling forced to study everyday. An hour a day, or any time that I can fit in is better than none at all.

Being that I found my motivation in that department, I sought out for a motivation in the exercise department. Done and done.

Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 3.47.32 PM

Tonight, I’ll be attending a free trial CrossFit class.

Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 3.44.52 PM

I actually don’t know how good of an idea this is because I see myself getting hooked and I’m not about to pay $250 per month. There is a Living Social deal for $50 for a month so I may purchase that to at least help boost my motivation! Anyway, I’m super excited and I’ll let you guys know how it goes!

On the healthy eating front, I’ve been quite inconsistent. I’ve had my fair share of take out and unhealthy meals mixed in with healthy snacks and healthy breakfasts. Between being sick, travelling to Colorado for Blend, social events, Joe being sick this week, working 32 hours in a matter of 2.5 days (yes, a 15 hour day on Sunday at the restaurant); I just can’t seem to get back on track.

A few weeks ago, Suzanne contacted me to see if I’d be interested in trying out the new Special K Granola Bars. I accepted and a few days later was greeted by two full boxes!

The flavor offerings are dark chocolate and chocolately peanut butter.

IMG_1238IMG_1237

Surprisingly, I enjoyed the dark chocolate more even though I’m a huge peanut butter fan.

The stats are pretty good.

With 4g. protein, 4g. of fiber, 110 calories, and only 7g. of sugar, these are alright in my book. The ingredient list is a bit long and includes ‘hydrogenated and/or partially hydrogenated palm kernel’, which was about half way down the list. But in the long run, it’s a lot better than my other snack options lately.

An unnecessary loaded cup of fro-yo

Having healthier options around helps in getting me back on track. Although I usually need more than 110 calories for a snack, these bars are a great option for me to bring to work. I can easily snack on this in between running around the restaurant like a chicken with it’s head cut off. It’s just the right size to help tide me over until I am able to eat a meal without making me feel full.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t keep me from finishing an entire container of these in 24 hours (with Joe’s help, of course)!

But that’s besides the point!

So far today I’ve been super productive!

• 2.5 hours of restaurant book keeping work
  • 2 hours of studying
  • blogging (yeah!)
  • CrossFit (okay, happening in 2 hours, but still!)

Happy hump day!

1 Alyssa May 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm

This is going to sound TOTALLY creepy but I would totally sign up for CrossFit with you in Hoboken!

2 Jillian May 16, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I want to! I wish I could work out a deal with them though, it’s so expensive!! Maybe we can try the living social deal out? I need to check if it’s still on!

3 Alex @ therunwithin May 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Epic flashcard set! I would be proud of those. And that froyo makes me super duper jealous. I want some!

4 Ashley @ Freckles & Spice May 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm

My workouts, even yoga, have been in the drain with getting back on track at work. Boooo

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I’m afraid of losing motivation for studying for my Personal training cert, but I’m still deciding what route to take so I guess I’m still okay on that front. ;)

6 Jillian May 17, 2012 at 11:53 am

If you have the time and have a side job, don’t stress! I am kind of putting myself on a deadline as of right now so I am trying to cram it in. Good luck!!! :)

7 Emily May 16, 2012 at 7:39 pm

getting back into working out after taking a break has always been hard for me too, so you arent alone gf! let me know how crossfit goes .. I’ve been curious as to if i should give it a try or not!?

8 Jillian May 17, 2012 at 11:53 am

Don’t give it a try – unless you want to pay for it! LOL It’s super awesome, but super expensive. AGH!

9 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 17, 2012 at 7:36 am

I feel like i have been off my normal routine so much more lately too between travel, the injury for a couple weeks, and having to do so much less than I’m used to with the taper for my race while having to eat more. It’s a mind game for sure!

10 Jillian May 17, 2012 at 11:52 am

Aww! Well at least you are working towards a goal. I can’t wait to hear how your marathon goes! Best of luck, Tina!

11 Irina @ Chocolatea Time May 17, 2012 at 8:31 am

Studying is definitely an art. Sounds lame but it’s true! It took me forever to figure out what methodology worked best for me in college. Good luck with your studies!

12 Jillian May 17, 2012 at 11:50 am

Thank you! Note cards are just about the only way I can manage all of this info!

13 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health May 17, 2012 at 9:01 am

I can’t wait to hear about your experience with crossfit! I would love to try it sometime…but I doubt that I could pay that much for a bunch of sessions haha. I have been off of my routine too as I’ve been packing to move and then this weekend will consist of a bunch of graduation festivities and lots of going out to eat. Oh well, it happens!

14 Jillian May 17, 2012 at 11:50 am

CrossFit is awesome, but I am just bummed now because I cannot justify paying that much. :( Ahh well. Sometimes getting off track is all part of the balance, and when you are back at it your body will appreciate it more!

15 Val @ Tips on Healthy Living May 17, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Everyone falls off the wagon at some points (or at many points)! Trying to do an 80/20 ratio of healthy to unhealthy is a lot more realistic anyway. Plus, those almonds look amazing — and think of all the antioxidants in the dark chocolate! ;)

16 Alli May 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I understand the healthy eating. I’m trying to change my eating habits, but when you’re busy and going out in the evenings with friends, it’s hard. I’ve been having a seriously hard time staying on track. Gym isn’t happening so much either. I did, however, sign up for Zumba instructor training. This has been my motivation… Maybe there’s something like that that would help motivate you? Good luck with it all!