WIAW: Gettin’ My Greens

by Jillian on April 11, 2012 · 13 comments

Lately, I’ve been slacking a little in the greens department. I always throw spinach in my post workout smoothie, but after that, sometimes I don’t have any for the remainder of the day! So, I’ve decided that I am going to buy at least 2 other greens every week at the grocery store.

And, I’m going to join in the What I Ate Wednesday April Challenge!

Let’s start with Monday night’s eats. After a long weekend of rather unhealthy choices, I opted for an easy dinner. For Christmas, our friend bought us a slew of steaks and seafood from Omaha Steaks. It ships frozen and we’ve had it all in there since December! I decided on the scallop and crabmeat stuffed sole. It was simple to make: add water and bake!

I made a side of blanched asparagus with roasted tomatoes and shaved parmesan. I also sprinkled it with truffle salt and pepper.

My Easter cravings were not being tamed because leftover sweets were hanging around.

Joe and I split the two cupcakes for dessert. Unfortunately, that green frosting doesn’t count for greens.

Tuesday morning started off with a long run. It felt awesome aside from the fact that I thought I was going to puke at minute 57. I toughed it out and then bolted home for breakfast.

IMG_0936IMG_0940

I was a sweaty disgusting mess, clearly. I immediately made a banana, blackberry, and spinach protein smoothie when I got home. I slurped it down faster than ever! Not only because I was starving, but I was running late, as usual.

Unfortunately, I had a 12 hour work day, so no other food photos were snapped!

This morning, I woke up a little late, being that yesterday was a long day. I did an upper body workout similar to Saturday’s “first and last”, only I changed up the exercises a bit. I dreamed about Ashley’s protein quick bake the entire time I was at the gym, so obviously, it happened when I got home.

I really need better light in my house because I refuse to stand by the back door every time I need light for my photos. Ugh.

And it still looks like crap – but it’s actually blackberries muddled with agave nectar and a scoop of crunchy almond butter.

Anyway, I had a bunch of book keeping to do for the restaurant, so I got started on that right away while listening to the Tennis station on Pandora.

I took a lunch break after about 2 hours.

I made an avocado, jalapeno hummus, and baby spinach wrap (whole wheat).

I liked the spiciness of the jalapeno hummus combined with the creamy avocado. The spinach added a nice crunch. Easy, delicious, and nutritious. Can’t beat that. Lots of green going on here!

I was going to wait to post after tonight’s dinner, but I have a feeling it’s going to deserve it’s own post tomorrow. Look out for a healthy version of a savory dish! Off to make that, right now!

• Aside from juicers or green smoothies, what’s the easiest way you get your greens in every day?

1 katie April 11, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Get your greens on!!!

Those cupcakes look so good! I hope you and Joe had a great easter!

Happy Wednesday love!

2 Jillian April 11, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Thanks Katie!! I hope your Easter was wonderful, too!

3 Lauren April 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm

It’s funny how I CRAVE greens when I feel like I lack them for a few days. The breakfast bake DOES look good…sometimes the worst things photographed always taste the best.

4 Jillian April 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Very true! “Blob” type foods usually taste good but look awful!

5 peanutbutterlover April 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I don’t think that potroein bake looks like crap! Looks great to me… Question: Was is truffle salt? I’ve heard of it, but no idea what it is!

6 peanutbutterlover April 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Ah… PROTEIN- spelling

7 Jillian April 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm

It’s really just salt mixed with dried truffles, ground to the same size as salt. Black truffles are super potent and expensive mushrooms and they taste delicious! A little goes a long way and the smell is intoxicating. Delicious! :)

8 Sara @my less serious life April 11, 2012 at 8:31 pm

i love roasted grape/cherry tomatoes with asparagus! it is a fantastic combination!

9 Jillian April 12, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I really don’t like tomatoes, only when they are roasted. The flavor comes out so much more.

10 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 12, 2012 at 2:25 am

Your hummus-avocado wrap looks to-die-for delicious! I am definitely trying that combination tomorrow. Yum.

I actually eat greens for breakfast every morning, usually in the form of sauteed spinach or pan-roasted asparagus. I really enjoy savory breakfasts (followed by breakfast “dessert”), so eggs and veggies are my go-to. When I don’t feel like eating greens, but know I should, I cook them down and add a tasty sauce (clearly de-healthifying it, haha). It’s much easier to get my daily fix that way!

11 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I like to add my veggies to eggs and scrambles- I find these are the easiest and fastest ways for us!

12 Jillian April 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

That’s a great way to get some extra veggies! Super easy!

13 Jessica April 13, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Yum, that protein bake looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe, can’t wait to try it!