Roast Chicken First Timer

by Jillian on March 27, 2012 · 15 comments

Yesterday, I was browsing through google reader and came across Jessica’s springtime honey garlic roast chicken skillet. Something about it caught my eye, but I brushed it off since I’d never actually attempted to roast a whole chicken myself. Later on at the grocery store, I decided to check out the poultry section. They usually never have any sort of organic, free range, antibiotic free chicken, but they had something closer than they ever had before.

Not only did they have the chicken breasts, but a whole 3.5 lb. chicken (and only one left!). I quickly whipped out my phone to re-look up Jessica’s recipe to see what else I needed. I drove the cart full speed back to the produce section to grab garlic, mushrooms, and an onion (I already had asparagus in the cart). I’m so glad I made this spontaneous decision, because my dinner was exceptional.

I started out by chopping the vegetables and mixing them with olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper, and Jessica stated.

I added in some campari tomatoes because I had them on hand and love the taste of roasted tomatoes. Next, I cut the heads off the garlic, dropped some olive oil on each, and wrapped them in tin foil. Finally, I prepared the chicken.

Well hello there! Thank god the giblets were all bagged together for easy removal! #firsttimerproblems

I put the chicken, garlic, and veggies together in a glass roasting dish and set it at 425 degrees for 90 minutes.

The skin started to get super crispy and burn at about 60 minutes in, so I placed some tin foil over the top. I don’t usually eat the skin anyway, so it was fine!

The garlic came out nothing short of perfect.

I see lots of garlic roasting in my future. The pieces squeezed right out and made for a perfect chicken and vegetable topping when mashed together with some honey!

Thanks Jessica for seriously making my Monday 10 times better!

Oh, and good news! I got my car back!

Driver side door = all fixed! (Weird reflection of the grass, right?)

I ended my night with Desperate Housewives on demand and indulging in this goodness:

1 Marilyn March 27, 2012 at 10:32 am

The chicken looks delicious. You are getting to be quite the cook. I knew nothing about cooking and recipes when I was your age!

2 Jillian March 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Now you need to try roasting a chicken! It’s perfect for people who don’t mind leftovers because it’s A LOT of food! lol

3 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish March 27, 2012 at 10:51 am

I’m a roast chicken virgin too! According to Glamour magazine, *every* woman needs to know how to roast a chicken–especially those hoping to get engaged. (LOL…They have a recipe for “Engagement Chicken,” which apparently has instigated 100′s of engagements over the past 50 years, haha!) Maybe Joe will pop the question soon!? ;-p

Seriously though, this recipe looks AWESOME. I need to try it asap. xoxo <3

4 Jillian March 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Well that is good news, haha! We will see! ;)

5 janetha March 27, 2012 at 1:17 pm

i have never roasted a chicken! i starred jessica’s recipe, i wanna try.

6 Jillian March 28, 2012 at 1:06 pm

SO easy! I can’t believe I’ve put it off this long and thought it was such a big ordeal to do, lol!

7 Laura @joyful shimmy March 27, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Awesome! I roasted my first chicken last year i felt so domestic afterwards it was great. I can’t believe that Ben and Jerry’s has Greek yogurt I must definitely try

8 Jillian March 28, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I felt domestic, too! The boy liked it as well! :)

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 27, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I always forget how easy roasting a chicken is! I roast one every so often for the Husband!

10 Jillian March 28, 2012 at 1:05 pm

It is so easy! I can’t believe I’ve never done it before! Now I know I can play around with difference veggies, spices, etc.

11 Lisa March 28, 2012 at 12:11 am

Roasting chicken is super easy! I should be doing that more. What whattt greek frozen yogurt, never seen that before here! Jealous. And isn’t desperate housewives the best, I am so so sad it is ending this season!! It’s getting so good!

12 Jillian March 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm

They have it at whole foods! It’s delicious, but I feel like I could make a healthier version using chobani and a blender! lol

Desperate is leaving me in suspense every week! I really want Lynette and Tom to get back together!!

13 Lisa March 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

No whole foods where I live! :( I guess I’ll be thrifty and blend frozen greek yogurt, I guess that’s pretty much the same haha. And your right healthier I’m sure.
Ah, I want them back together so badly! And I do not want Bre to go to jail, I hate when I can’t control what the character in the show are doing haha. I guess then it would be pretty boring though ;)

14 Nescett @ bananaoats March 28, 2012 at 8:14 am

Looks delicious. I think people are intimated by roasting a whole chicken but it was one of the only thing I could do in the kitchen for a long time. I just sprinkle it with a ton of lemon pepper and bake at 375 for about 2 hours. Turns out delish every time!

15 Jillian March 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm

It’s so true! I was like “omg, roast a chicken?”. Now I can’t believe I haven’t been doing it longer! So simple!