Busy Weekend + Oats in a (Mini) Jar

by Jillian on March 19, 2012 · 15 comments

Well, I’ve pretty much only eaten 2 meal at home since Friday. One being a green protein smoothie.

The other being a take on Brittany’s lightened up lemon garlic chickpea pasta. I used rice noodles (tried those out for the first time and I like them!) for the pasta part and subbed broccoli and brussels for the spinach. It was super easy, healthy, and delicious. You can’t go wrong with those 3 qualities!

I was barely home the rest of the weekend.

Friday started out with a leg workout inspired by Harley Pasternak. I did the following 3 exercises circuit style and repeated 4x.

• squat while holding weighted plate in front of chest
  • walking lunges
  • jump squats

I then did a few sets up mountain climbers, bridge butt lifts, and planks. I finished up with weighted calf raises.

I worked late on Friday night and expected to not have to go into work again until Saturday afternoon, but I got called in to open because the morning person didn’t show up. I was already at the gym and had barely began my workout (thank god) so I rushed home, didn’t shower, got ready, and inhaled a smoothie. I didn’t eat again until family meal which is served in between lunch and dinner shifts, which was not healthy whatsoever. After that, I didn’t eat again until 11pm, when I split pizza and a cheese plate with my manager after I got cut from being there all day. I never enjoyed a cheese plate so much in my life.

Sunday was spent eating (unhealthy) all day again. I went to the restaurant with Joe for a while because he had to work for a bit. We split a melt in your mouth rare burger and strawberry mascarpone french toast. Oh, and I had more than a few drinks including mimosas and bloody marys. After that, we went to visit our friend’s and their 2 kids. I’ve had their Christmas presents in my car for months! That’s how long it took us to get together. The guys are both super busy. Anyway, we ordered pizza, wings, and sandwiches there and enjoyed some wine and champagne followed by cupcakes!

Today, I woke up and decided it was time to eat something nutritious. Having saved a jar of Barney Butter for oats in a jar, I decided this was the perfect time to use it. There was just a bit of almond butter left on the bottom which made for a perfect oat jar.

IMG_0816IMG_0817

The oat mixture was made with almond milk, banana, vanilla, cinnamon, chia seeds, and agave nectar. I topped it with coconut butter, coconut flakes, granola, and peanut butter.

I’m so glad I saved the mini jar, it was the perfect size!

Workout = not happening today. I wanted to get a bunch of stuff done and we had already slept in. Here’s the plan:

• change the sheets
  • do a few loads of laundry
  • tidy up the house
  • study x2
  • blog and clear my google reader from Friday (eek!)
  • errand at the mall (we won’t call it shopping)
  • bank
  • groceries

Right now I’m at Starbucks blogging and studying with an iced venti shaken green tea lemonade.

Do we think I need to get my nails done? ha

The restaurant is getting some renovations done today so I am waiting for Joe to finish up with the construction guys so we can go grab some sushi.

I like having Monday’s off work. The non-corporate world isn’t so bad!

1 Marilyn March 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I have learned to accept that sometimes life gets in the way, and I don’t eat healthy foods. It is such a good feeling…physically and mentally…to get back on track with healthy eating.

2 Chels R. March 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm

That pasta looks delish. Enjoy your Monday off!!

3 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance March 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Aw, I’m so glad you liked the recipe! And your modifications look great too!

4 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health March 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm

That pasta looks so delicious! And while your Monday sounds super busy, I hope it’s been a good day!

5 Lauren March 19, 2012 at 7:58 pm

You weren’t alone in an indulgent weekend. Seemed to be the theme in the blog world. I blame it on St. Patty’s Day. :) It gets the best of us but so worth it.
Strawberry Mascarpone French Toast sounds way too good to pass up. :)

6 Jillian March 19, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Yea — it makes me appreciate healthy food. I look forward to getting back on track during the week!

7 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 19, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Sometimes you’ve just got to roll with unhealthy weekends! It’s all about balance!

8 Jillian March 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Very true!

9 Lisa March 19, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Every once in a while it’s totally fine to have a crazy, unhealthy weekend. I’m thinking that falls within the 80/20 rule anyways…and it sounds like you had a lot of fun anyways! :)

10 Jillian March 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Yeah I couldn’t live without balance! It makes you appreciate not only the indulgences more, but also getting back on the healthy track!

11 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish March 20, 2012 at 3:02 am

I’ve decided that I need visit you in New York and spend the entire weekend hanging out at your restaurant. Melt-in-your-mouth burger and strawberry mascarpone French toast? Yes please! Do you think the manager would share a cheese plate with me too? ;)

Seriously though, “indulgent” weekends are what help us appreciate the “healthy” ones, you know? It truly is all about balance (as Chelsea said above)…Life would be boring without splurges and sacrifices. :)

I love the mini OIAJ. I have the exact same Barney Butter jar, and it’s nearing empty. Maybe I’ll follow your lead and use it for breakfast. If I do, It will be my very first OIAJ!

xoxo

12 Jillian March 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I would loooove if you visited NY again! :) I’ll share a cheese plate, burger, AND french toast with you!! haha…

13 Paige March 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

What an awesome employee you are to go into work so fast like that!! Sounds like a busy weekend indeed – but I bet that Monday off makes it a little sweet :)

14 Baking Serendipity March 20, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Mondays off feel like cheating on the week in the absolute best way possible. So glad you enjoyed yours! PS: Love that pasta!

15 Jillian March 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Yes, there is definitely something about having Monday off that feels so good!