Happy 60th Birthday, Mom!

by Jillian on March 11, 2012 · 8 comments

Yesterday, I drove home to Pennsylvania for my Mom’s 60th birthday party. My two uncles (her brothers) and I have been planning it for a few weeks. She knew we were going out to dinner, but she didn’t know that we had invited as many people as we did or that we had rented out the private room.

I stopped yesterday to pick up her cakes. Yes, cakes! I dropped one off at the restaurant and took one home.

When we got to the restaurant, she was surprised and wondered how the cake got there. I’m not stupid – I know I would want my own cake! I knew we’d all finish the cake at the restaurant, so I got one for her to have at home today (her actual birthday).

Look at all that buttercream!

Anyway, she was definitely surprised at dinner and it was so nice that all of our family and a ton of her friends came out to celebrate. We all ordered drinks, appetizers, and dinner. The best part though? The cake!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I LOVE YOU!

My mom likes this specific cake called “silver batter” from a local bakery. They basically just don’t use the egg yolks, but I swear they add almond extract or something to the batter. It is absolutely delicious. We all dug in.

This picture pretty much sums up the relationship between me & my mom with food. She is clearly staring down her friend’s cake to see if hers is bigger, and I am patiently waiting to dig into the piece in front of me. While everyone else is not even paying attention. I’m totally kidding. Sort of.

Again, me and my mom = faces in cake. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

I took a few photos with friends and family. These are my two uncles (her brothers).

Bob, Marilyn, & Bill.

This is her friend Jane, who is hilarious! My mom and Jane have been friends since before I was born.

Everyone had a great time and I’m so thankful to everyone who made it out to celebrate with my Mom. She was really happy!

I woke up today not really hungry, but after about 15 minutes of being awake I got a craving for eggs. My mom had this amazing super grainy/seedy bread from Wegman’s (who else knows and loves Wegman’s?) that I used to make an open faced egg and cheese sandwich. Runny eggs are the only way to do it.

eggrunnyegg

I also had a cup of homemade dunkin coffee.

coffee

Excuse my lazy morning iPhone photos.

I thought I’d maybe go for a run this morning, but I’ll probably just eat a piece of cake instead.

Off to celebrate and spend time with Mommy! :)

1 Marilyn March 11, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Had a wonderful birthday celebration. The best part is having you home for a visit. xoxo

2 Bridgette March 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Hi Jillian! I live in the birthplace of Wegmans, Rochester NY! I have fun traveling to other places and checking out their grocery stores but NOTHING compares to Wegmans and they just keep getting better and better. Looks like you all had a great time for your mom’s party.

Happy Birthday Jillian’s Mom!!

3 Jillian March 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Wegman’s is great! I love the bakery and the organic/natural/healthier food item section the most! :) Oh, and the salad bar area!

4 Bridgette March 12, 2012 at 2:36 am

The one in Pittsford NY, where I usually shop was the first store to rebuild into a “super-store” size and add so much of the prepared foods to either take or eat upstairs in a little cafe area, cooking school in the test kitchens, a small sit down seafood “bar” right in the middle of the seafood section, a Tea Bar, “The Food Bar”-an attached cafe type restaurant using all fresh ingredients with most being from local farms among other things but my FAVORITE part would have to be the produce. The produce at Wegmans is second to none and I love being able to walk in our stores, buy locally grown produce which supports our farms and our community. It’s truly an experience and all out of town guests and family ALWAYS want a trip to Wegmans on the list of “Must-Do’s”. I also have to comment on how they treat their employees and being on the Forbes 100 Best Places to Work list for 14 years(i think) with many of the years in the top 3! My ex-husband works for them and our medical benefits are amazing. I know there are a million grocery stores but the fact that the Wegman family(who are also incredibly philanthropic) puts quality first above quantity and their customers and employees always come first is the reason they’re so successful.

Ok, I’m getting off my “Wegmans Rocks” high horse lol I hope you had a great weekend with your mom!

5 Jillian March 12, 2012 at 10:11 am

My friend used to work for them and always talked about how great they treated their employees! I wish we had one closer to the NY metro area, but I guess we do have a lot of other grocery store options that are similar. Wegman’s has it all though!

I had a great weekend with my mom, thank you! :)

6 janetha March 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm

beautiful cake for a beautiful mom! happy birthday to her. fun fact: my mom will be 60 this year, too.

7 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm

What an absolutely gorgeous cake! But it’s not even close to how beautiful you and your mom are. :)

8 Jillian March 13, 2012 at 9:59 am