My First WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday}

by Jillian on February 22, 2012 · 12 comments

I’m about to do something I’ve been meaning to do for a long time.

Yes, that’s right! I’m jumping on the bandwagon. If you’re not on it, go read about it on Jen’s blog, Peas and Crayons! I decided to take on the veggie challenge.

Let’s start with yesterday’s lunch, shall we?

I had leftover roasted sweet potatoes and knew that I was hungry for eggs, since breakfast was on the sweet side. I made a mushroom, asiago cheese, and spinach omelet with 1 egg and 3 eggs whites.

Mmmm..cheesy! I used the sweet potatoes as “home fries”. Really, I just warmed them up and plopped some ketchup on them. Lastly, I had a side of ezekial toast with almond butter.

Nothing like BFL. Break fast for lunch? Isn’t is supposed to be dinner? Same thing!

Veggies involved: spinach, mushrooms, and sweet potato

Speaking of dinner, I had more leftovers. I incorporated the brown rice and bean mixture from the day before with roasted green and yellow squash. I added some pepperjack cheese to spice it up and topped it with avocado. Random, but satisfying.

Veggies Involved: zucchini and yellow squash

Today’s breakfast was protein filled after an upper body strength training workout.

I stole the cup that I bought Joe and filled it with a smoothie made with banana, ice, almond milk, vanilla SunWarrior protein powder, flax meal, 1/4 cup oats, a large handful of spinach, and a handful of blackberries. Talk about a smoothie packed with nutrients! This is one of my favorites.

Veggies involved: spinach

I worked the lunch shift today and got cut for dinner, since we didn’t have that many reservations and 3 of us were scheduled. That was totally fine with me since I have been feeling under the weather and I had last week’s casserole on my mind. I attempted a similar version tonight.

This time, I subbed some ingredients. I’ll give you a hint: it has the aroma of truffle! What smells better than truffle? Not much if you ask me. It’s intoxicating.

Needless to say, it involved mushrooms as well.

If you don’t let the casserole sit for a while after it comes out of the oven, it falls apart when you try to scoop it out. Clearly, I couldn’t wait.

I paired it with roasted brussels, what’s new? I’ll post the recipe soon. For now, you can try the cheesy brown rice, bean, and caramelized onion casserole.

Veggies involved: mushrooms, brussels sprouts

Getting off work early makes me feel like I should be studying or getting stuff done, but my throat is still a bit sore and my head is starting to feel a little woozy. I’m thinking rest may be a better option since I have work the next 3 days! Although, I whipped out my Garmin to charge because I feel with this warm weather, I may be heading outside for a run tomorrow! We’ll see.

Happy hump day!

1 Chels R. February 22, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Foodgasm! All of this looks good! I have never had truffle salt before, where can I get it?

2 Jillian February 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I found it at a gourmet food store called Garden of Eden. I think Whole Foods might have it? You can probably order it online somewhere, too. It’s expensive. That little jar cost almost $15!

3 Sara @my less serious life February 22, 2012 at 8:01 pm

happy wiaw! your food looks so tasty! i especially love your ‘breakfast for lunch’. that egg and egg white omelet sounds great. i hardly ever want eggs for breakfast, but i do crave them for lunch and dinner often!

4 Jillian February 23, 2012 at 11:17 am

I’m so happy you commented because I clicked over and I love your blog! :)

5 kimert February 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I love brussel sprouts! Your meals look so good. I love eggs and am going to have to make an omelet like yours.

6 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish February 23, 2012 at 2:01 am

I love having breakfast for lunch or dinner! There’s something about it that feels extra special and indulgent. Sometimes I’ll do dinner for breakfast too. (Usually in the form of leftovers). :-)

You recent casserole concoctions look delicious! And truffle salt? Gimme gimme. I’m on a white truffle oil kick right now. :) xoxo

7 Alexia February 23, 2012 at 10:15 am

i just found ur blog and love reading about your food concotions and exercise plan. looks so delicious, i am really loving green smoothies at the moment! Putting spinach in everything!

8 Jillian February 23, 2012 at 11:19 am

That makes me happy to hear! :) I love spinach in smoothies – you can’t even taste it but you know you’re getting an extra nutrient punch!

9 janetha February 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm

i absolutely love truffle salt.. especially on eggs!

10 Jillian February 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Truffle salt + asiago cheese on eggs is wonderful!

11 Maria aka Lil Mys Ninja March 18, 2012 at 11:49 pm

How do you like the Sunwarrior protein powder? I’m in search of a good brand that doesn’t have a horrible after taste.

12 Jillian March 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I really like the vanilla flavor. It was definitely an acquired taste at first, but now I love it! If you e-mail them I’m sure they’d send you a small free sample!