Soft Serve Fruit Co. in NYC

by Jillian on January 25, 2012 · 14 comments

You guys all heard of the yonanas maker, right?

yonanas

Well, I have something even better than that to tell you about!

I worked for a few hours today and now I am at Starbucks studying blogging. Obviously, I couldn’t wait to tell you guys about these lovely treats. I will get back to my studying right after this!

Lisa reached out to me about coming in to sample some Soft Serve Fruit Co. treats. As soon as she e-mailed me, I jumped at the offer. Soft Serve? Fruit? Sure! We met at the Union Square location in NYC and Caitlin came to join us a well.

Daniel, the president of the company, joined us and allowed us to try out some of the yummy flavors. The “soft serve” is actually 3 simple ingredients: real fruit, water, and a bit of organic cane sugar. They make it fresh every day! It’s all natural, dairy free, fat free, gluten free, and under 90 calories per serving. It doesn’t get much better than that!

On tap yesterday, they had cranberry, banana, mango, and apple. They change out the flavors frequently, but we were served a sample of all four current options.

Obviously, I couldn’t wait to dig my spoon into it so it’s not the prettiest picture, but all four flavors were very tasty. Banana, of course, was my favorite. I’m just biased because I love bananas. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the pear. I wondered what the texture would be like, but it was spot on! Lisa and I were discussing how bananas seem to be the easiest to make into soft serve texture, but pear was just as creamy! We tried, but Daniel wouldn’t release their secret process of making it. I guess I’ll just have to keep going back there for more!

As soon as we walked in, Lisa suggested that I try the Crunchy Salty Sundae, which is banana soft serve, fresh banana, pretzels, all natural peanut butter, and chocolate chips. It wasn’t the healthiest option, but since the soft serve itself is so healthy, I didn’t feel guilty about the toppings. All of my favorite things were combined to make one delicious sundae!

Next, they showed us some other treats that they started making. They have frozen pies and popsicles available for purchase. How neat!?

The pies are so cute! They have a graham cracker crust bottom and are filled with the frozen soft serve. Even though banana is my favorite, this apple pie gave it a run for it’s money.

Daniel started raving about the vegan waffles, so of course we had to try a waffle sundae!

The waffles were so tasty. I couldn’t stop eating them! The sundae included banana soft serve, vegan waffles, a touch of maple syrup, granola, and strawberries. I might have to say that this was even better than the Crunchy Salty!

I started talking about how I love cool whip on sundaes but I’ve been trying to stop buying it because it has high fructose corn syrup. I pick up TruWhip when I see it, but that’s not often. Daniel offered a sample of the rice milk whip that they use.

I need to learn how to make this. It was so light and fluffy and had just enough flavor to be a perfect sundae topping.

Thank you Lisa and Daniel for bringing us in and letting us sample the amazing treats you offer. If you live in NYC or even if you’re just visiting, make it a point to stop in and get a healthy treat for yourself. They have 2 locations: one in Union Square and one on the Upper East Side. It’s worth your while, I promise!

1 Marilyn January 25, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Looks like something I would like to try next time I am in the city.

2 emily January 25, 2012 at 6:07 pm

That all sounds amazing but the crunchy salty sundae basically made me drool! Another item added to my “when I get to visit NYC” list :)

3 Jillian January 25, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Yay! Let me know when– we can meet up!

4 emily January 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Will do; that would be super fun!

Probably not for months though sadly :(

5 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill January 25, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I remember someone telling me about this place! Sounds delicious…I’ll have to go when I’m in the city in a few weeks. Speaking of which, I need to email you so that we can meet up! :)

6 Jillian January 25, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Yes, most definitely! I’m excited to meet you!

7 Paige @ Running Around Normal January 25, 2012 at 9:30 pm

That is freaking awesome and kinda makes me want to move to NYC just because of it!

8 Caitlin January 25, 2012 at 10:20 pm

So fun seeing you yesterday! We will have to make it happen more often – maybe over soft serve fruit :)

9 Jillian January 26, 2012 at 2:02 pm

You too! We need to meet up more often! Eat some quinoa.. it will make everything better! :)

10 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish January 26, 2012 at 1:17 am

Oh my gosh, why didn’t I know about this place when I was in NYC?! I guess it means I’ll have to make a trip back. ;)

Banana would definitely be my favorite flavor too. I’ve tried making banana soft serve at home, but I’m sure this is SO much better. And goodness gracious, that Crunchy Salty Sundae looks to-die-for delicious!

p.s. I have the same Cool Whip problem. TruWhip is a decent replacement, but occasionally I cave and buy the original version. I can’t think about the ingredients when I eat it!

11 Jillian January 26, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I think I am going to try to make my own whip with coconut milk. I’ve seen a recipe before where you freeze it and then blend it, so I may give that a try!

12 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! January 26, 2012 at 7:34 am

I love this place! So lucky you got to go there and try everything :-) Makes me really miss NYC.

13 Amy January 26, 2012 at 11:41 am

That sounds so tasty! Tell them they need to open one in DC, I would be there every day ;)

I have contemplated buying the Yonanas machine and think I will. I have a major ice cream addiction. A half gallon is lucky if it lasts 3 days in my house :/ I love making banana soft serve, but I rarely make it because my blender sucks.

14 Jillian January 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I asked where they were going to open new locations and he said maybe California next!