Leg & Core Workout with Girl Talk

by Jillian on January 13, 2012 · 11 comments

Guess what I did today, folks. What I should have done a long time ago. (a.k.a. before I went out and bought a macbook pro to replace my macbook, returned it, bought a pc, sold it, re-bought a mac, and lost over 1,000 pictures.)

Screen Shot 2012-01-13 at 4.22.00 PM

I am now running Windows 7 on my Mac using Parallels so I can run Windows Live Writer. Praise the lord. It was a super easy to set up and I found the programs on EBay for super cheap. Notice the X on the dock, too? I found MS Office for Mac on EBay as well for a discounted price. Any questions? E-mail me!

Now, onto the good stuff!

Mmmm, that was breakfast number one. I wasn’t feeling the gym first thing this morning. Joe went because he had to go to work, but I opted to stay home, make a big breakfast, and get started on some work. I made pancakes similar to the almond flour pancakes I made the other day. The only difference was that I used half almond flour and half oat flour.

I had a pear that was getting really ripe, so I decided to mash it up and add it to a pot with some honey and cinnamon. I heated it up until it was almost like a sauce. I definitely recommend this as a pancake topping. Yum!

I had to run to the post office and the bank, so I through on my gym clothes to force myself to go after my errands. Boy, I’m so happy I did! I had an awesome workout.

I started off by running for 10 minutes on the treadmill.

• 1 minute warmup
  • 8 minute mile
  • 1 minute cooldown

Next, I did 10 minutes on the stairmaster, alternating level 6 and level 11 every minute. That got my legs burning, but not as much as the leg workout that followed.

Screen Shot 2012-01-13 at 4.52.17 PM

My legs and core were on fire. I did some foam rolling and headed home for breakfast number 2.

While I was toasting a whole wheat english muffin, I combined 1 scoop of SunWarrior protein powder, a bit of almond milk, 1 tbsp. sunflower seeds butter, 1 tbsp. dark cocoa, and stevia to make a protein topping. I finished it off with chia seeds and raspberries.

Lastly, if you are looking for new workout music, you have to download everything from Girl Talk. I’ve been listening to Girl Talk for a long time and it is hands down the best music to workout to. It’s my go to when I don’t have any new tunes on the iPod. Picture every awesome old school song (think Michael Jackson) combined with new artists (like Ludacris, Coldplay, etc). I used it today and was super pumped up!

Here’s one of my favorites.

Happy Friday!

1 Lauren January 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I really need to start using Live Writer. I hear such good things about it but I have yet to even explore it. I’m a creature of habit I suppose.

Both breakfasts look delicious! Nice way to start your Friday my dear.

2 janetha @ meals & moves January 13, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I love everything about this post! Ah. I NEED to buy a copy of Windows 7 from Ebay. I miss WLW so much and it’s only been a few weeks. I did a legs/ab workout today TOO. It was fun. Yours looks great. Love the stairmill. YOur protein topping and pear topping both look fantastic. And finally, I love Girl Talk! Have a wonderful weekend. XOXO

3 Jillian January 13, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I actually was just reading your post and I went “cool, we both did leg and ab workouts today!” haha.. great minds things alike. I am so sad – I want to go to Blend Retreat but not sure if I can and I know if I wait to buy a ticket I’ll be screwed. Or I guess I can try to sell it if I can’t go. Decisions… but anyway, yes def get on that WLW — it’s so much easier than I thought it was!

4 Megan S. January 13, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I love Girl Talk! They came to my university the other year and were just as fun in person as listening. I do have a question, what were your search terms on eBay to find the Windows, and how much was it? Will it mess up the mac processor in any way?

5 Jillian January 13, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Hi Megan! I just searched for Windows 7 full version. They sent me a copy that is intended to be used for “system builders” (aka people who build computers from scratch) so that is probably why it is cheaper. I did some research and it is the same exact thing as buying it from the store. When you buy parallels, it gives you the option to install the cd right from the program and it is SO easy. You can download programs and run them as if they were mac programs. Pretty cool! It won’t mess your mac up in anyway, but just make sure you have atleast 4GB RAM so it can run. I don’t run windows all the time because it slows down the computer slightly, but it is totally fine to use when you need it.

6 Kathleen January 14, 2012 at 8:57 am

I am going to have to try your pear topping! I have some pears that I REALLY need to use, and pancakes sound really good right now! Thanks! :D

7 Hilary January 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I am so glad I read this post! I am in need of a new computer, and have been going back and forth about whether to move to a Mac, as I have heard such great things about them. However, I am so used to Windows 7 from using it at work, that I’ve been nervous about the potential transition. Sounds like the Parallels software would be a great solution!

p.s. Love the idea of your english muffin topping to get some added protein – will have to try that out!

8 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance January 16, 2012 at 8:19 am

I’m curious because I’m currently on the hunt for a new laptop! What made you pick a mac in the end over the PC?

9 Jillian January 16, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Well, I’d had a mac for 4 years, but I wanted Windows Live Writer so I thought about making the switch. After having the PC a few days I knew I wasn’t happy and wanted my Mac back! I had the old macbook and now I have the new Macbook Pro. They are WAY less likely to get viruses and I’ve never had any issues, but if I do you can always take it to any nearby apple store, where with PC’s you are on the phone waiting for hours for someone to not help you and make you send the computer away for weeks! LOL Apple is just so easy in every way and the customer support is phenominal. They are more expensive, but so worth it because it will last you years. I had my old Mac for 4 years and honestly, it was still okay to use, I just ran out of space and wanted a newer Mac because there were some additional features. I am actually trying to recycle my old Mac through Apple, they will give me like $150 for it or something. Also, Apple offers great financing through Barclays. They usually offer a year no financing so you can pay it off in that time. Hmm..what else? lol I mean if you haven’t used a mac before, it may take a little while to learn but you will be so happy with it, I promise! It makes everything so much easier to organize! Let me know if you have any other questions!! :) Sorry this was so long!

10 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance January 16, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Aw! Thank you so much for such a thorough explanation and response! I’ve always been a PC girl, but with your input, a million persuasive pro-Mac comments, and drooling over Will’s Macbook pro, I’m leaning towards making the switch!

We shall see :D Thanks again, Jillian

11 Jillian January 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm

No problem at all! I’ll be looking out for a post with your decision! :)