The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2011

by Jillian on December 6, 2011 · 21 comments

I signed up for this year’s Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap and received my matches right before I went home for Thanksgiving. I had all intentions of doing a little something with the extra nutella I had hanging out in my cabinet from a previous recipe.

But all of those plans went out the window when I had my slight hiccup. I did the next best thing and found a simple but yummy recipe that involved nutella! Thanks to Tasty Kitchen for coming to the rescue.

While I was home at my mom’s for Thanksgiving, I baked them and sent them off. I used four simple ingredients.

• 1-½ cups nutella
  • ¾ cups Sugar
  • 1-½ cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1-½ whole Egg

Yes, that sounds weird, but it made exactly 36 cookies (okay, maybe a little more for testers)! I blended all of the ingredients together, formed them into balls, and flattened them on the cookie sheet before baking them at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.

They were crispy on the outside but chewy on the inside. They were not super sweet, but you could definitely taste the nutella!

After they cooled, I had to decide what tins I was going to send them off in.

My mom had a bunch at home, but I also picked up the 3 red snowflake ones while I was out in case the other ones were not big enough. I decided to go with those in the end!

I have to say, packing them wasn’t pretty! I used a lot of wax paper to secure them in there. I didn’t want any breakage in the shipping process. Anyway, hopefully Jennifer, Brigitt, and Mads enjoy them!

1 Lauren December 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm

These sound great! I would have loved to partake in the cookie swap…if only I could bake. :(

2 Lynda @Healthy Hoboken Girl December 7, 2011 at 6:45 am

That’s so great, I was going to be part of this, but I do my own cookie swap party and thought both would be too much. I love your tins!

Hope school is going well! I’m doing some pre-reading before my Jan 17th start! Yikes!

3 Jillian December 9, 2011 at 9:49 am

I started reading the info before school too — the fundamentals. You are instructed to read some of the fundamentals during the modules though. But it is still good to get a head start! Did you get the iPad??? :)

4 Shanna, like Banana December 7, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Those look divine! And why does a little holiday packaging make the cookies taste even better?

I don’t know that I even need cookies with those chocolate pb chiffon truffles. I’m addicted! ;)

5 Jillian December 9, 2011 at 9:48 am

Oh my gosh I know! I bought a box for me and Joe, too.That was gone in about 2 days! Ha!

6 Brigitt December 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Thank you so much!! They arrived all in one piece and were simply delish!

7 Mads December 8, 2011 at 11:38 am

Mmmm Thank you for the cookies! I LOVE Nutella. Num

8 Jillian December 9, 2011 at 9:49 am

You are very welcome!! :)

9 Paige @ Running Around Normal December 8, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Mmm! Jillian these look fantastic! Love the short ingredient list too:)

10 Lindsay December 10, 2011 at 11:18 am

Why do I never find out about these swaps until it is too late. Booo. Those cookies look so good though and I’m jealous of whoever is getting them. Especially in those super cute tins. I need to get on top of my swap knowledge.

11 Jenny December 11, 2011 at 8:28 am

Thank you soooo much for the cookies!! I love Nutella!!! :) Can’t wait to start following along on your blogging journey!!!!

12 Katie December 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Oh these look and sound fabulous! Stopping by from the FB Cookie Swap Round Up!

13 Jillian December 18, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Thanks for stopping by! :)

14 Wendy December 19, 2011 at 8:53 am

Jillian, I found this recipe while searching for cookie recipes for my chocoholic son. he loves nutella so I immediately whipped up a batch last night. Based on your comments and the comments of others, this recipe worked for you, so I have to assume that my problem was that I used Trader Joes version (chocolate/almond butter) instead of nutella brand. These cookies were so oily we had to throw out the whole batch! My hands were covered in oil as I rolled the raw dough but I thought baking might somehow get rid of it. Nope. Touching a baked one left you fingers oily. So I wanted to warn others that for some reason this substitution does NOT work.

15 Jillian December 19, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hi Wendy! Thanks for letting me know! I’m sorry that they didn’t turn out quite right. Nutella is definitely different from regular nut butters. The ingredients and consistency are not alike. I once made peanut butter cupcakes, which turned out great. I tried to substitute nutella in the same recipe and make nutella cupcakes. Fail! It definitely cannot be interchanged.

16 Linda December 21, 2011 at 1:28 am

Sorry…..my daughter and agree….these are just NASTY. yuk, yuk, and double yuk.

17 Jillian December 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Nutella is sometimes an acquired taste. Sorry you didn’t like them!

18 Linda December 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Nope – sorry. We both love Nutella. These cookies were like chocolate concrete – I could use them as sidewalk pagers and the taste was unimpressive. My original statement stands.

19 Jillian December 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Hmm…try the original recipe here: http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/02/nutella-cookies/
It may be because I altered the amounts of ingredients to make more cookies.

20 Linda December 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Oooops, make that paVers, not pagers.