Finally: My Light at the End of the Tunnel

by Jillian on October 30, 2011 · 19 comments

Recently, I’ve alluded to the fact that I’ve been studying and have started a new journey in my life. There’s a lot more to it than the fact that I’ve simply decided to go down a new path, so I didn’t want to just throw it out there with no passion. Because quite honestly, passion is why I am making this change.

If you’ve read my “about me” section, you know that I graduated from the Fashion Institute of Technology. I pursued a career in buying and merchandising and am currently at my second job in that field. I love fashion. I always have and always will. However, I’ve lost the feeling I used to have for it. Not because I don’t care about new trends and shopping, but my unhappiness and busy schedule has led me to let certain aspects of my life fall through the cracks.

I let it affect my friendships, my relationship with Joe, my family, my love for fashion, my workouts, my eating habits. I let it affect all of these in some way or another the past few months. Notice I say “I let it affect” and not “it has affected”. I know that I am in control of my happiness and I would never blame it on anything or anyone else. This is why I’m making a change.

I know there are pros and cons to every job, but I am positive that I am capable of making the decision that something is not right for me. I’ve been told to ”suck it up”, ”that’s life”, and that there’s always going to be things about your job that you loathe. There are people who honestly believe that one can never be truly happy with their job. However, I don’t believe that that’s the answer. I think that those people are just too scared to try to make a change. I know that I want to wake up and feel excited about the day ahead. I want to absorb everything I can during each day instead of wishing the weeks away. I truly believe this is possible to those who take action. There is happiness for all of us somewhere.

I used to laugh when people said “money can’t buy you happiness”. Now I know, it really can’t. I’ll take my sanity over a raise any day. Sure, I love my Louis Vuitton bag, but being home early enough to cook dinner, spending quality time with Joe, and having the extra time to visit my family is way more important to me. My awful commute doesn’t help the situation either.

I’ve found what I truly am passionate about. I’ve decided to enroll in the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, after researching many options. The holistic approach and bio-individuality concept is what most sparked my interest. I will surely be sharing my journey with you guys.

I know you might be wondering about how I began studying to become a personal trainer. I intend to put it on hold until I am further along in the IIN program. I want to be able to use it along with my health coach certificate upon graduation from IIN. I begin the distance learning classes tomorrow and will become a certified health coach next October. I am so excited but at the same time I feel stuck. I am sure the time will fly by, but I am struggling with continuing in my current situation. Every day seems harder and harder, but knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel makes it a little easier.

**************

“You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.”
Steve Jobs

“Success follows doing what you want to do. There is no other way to be successful.” -Malcolm Forbes (via my personal trainer resource guide)

1 Erica Sara October 30, 2011 at 10:51 am

Congrats on taking this amazing step towards the life you want! I’m so excited to follow along on your journey and wish you all the best. I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel and during those really tough moments, just take a second to envision what your life will soon be. It’ll all be worth it :)

2 Jillian October 30, 2011 at 11:08 am

Thanks Erica! :)

3 Lynda @Healthy Hoboken Girl October 30, 2011 at 11:29 am

Great choice, Jillian….I’m starting IIN in January! I’d love to know how you like it, best of luck to you. You’ll do wonderful!

4 Jillian October 30, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I will definitely let you know! Thanks Lynda! :)

5 Shanna, like Banana October 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm

That is so exciting! It takes a lot of courage and strength to move to from what is comfortable (even if it has some negative effects) to something new. You rock girl! This is an exciting new journey that sounds like it will fit with the life you want for YOU! HUGS!

6 Jillian October 31, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Yayy Thanks Shanna! HUGS back! :)

7 Devyn October 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I completely can relate to you except with a bit of a different situation. I am miserable at school right now. Like completely lonely, sick of it, its affecting my eating and work outs, my happiness. I just got accepted two days ago to transfer to a new school next fall and I am so excited!! But now I have to wait almost an entire year? Just focusing on the light at the end of my tunnel also, we can get through it :)

8 Marilyn October 30, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Wishing you the best on your new endeavor. I am very proud of you!

9 Katherine October 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm

So proud of your for following your dreams!!!! And thank you for writing this post, very inspiring. I’ve been struggling with the same decision myself lately, I need to make a change I’m just not sure what the right move is yet…. Excited to hear more about your journey!

10 Jillian October 31, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Thanks!! You will find what’s right for you–it takes time! :)

11 Allie October 30, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Congrats on your new endeavors, and your conscience decision to be educated in nutrition alongside personal training. Sounds like great things are in order, now in the process, and in the future for you!

12 Jillian October 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Thanks Allie!!!

13 Amy October 31, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Congratulations on your decision, I’m sure it was a hard one to make! I too, find myself feeling stuck. I have always loved art and creating beautiful, visual messages, but I am realizing I am more passionate about health and fitness. If it weren’t for my already drastic student loan debt, I would go back to school for nutrition.

I hope you absolutely love learning about your new passion, I’m sure it will be a lot of fun!

14 Jillian November 1, 2011 at 9:30 am

Thanks!! I looked into going back to school for nutrition but it was definitely too much time/money, and IIN is definitely a different approach. You should definitely look into it if you are seriously interested about making a change! :)

15 Laura @ Joyful Shimmy November 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm

First off thank you for your honesty and share. Let’s connect I am past 3/4 of the program and I am scheduled to graduate in February. This is a super exciting opportunity and I know you will be an excellent coach.

16 Jillian November 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Hi Laura! I love hearing from people who are in the program or have graduated! I’d love to hear more about your experience!!